Artelice Patisserie (Sawtelle Japantown): A Pictorial Essay

E.A.K.'s takoyaki is :heart:

3 Likes

I just realized I engineered a thread drift on my own thread…

Whatever. Damn the torpedoes. Here is the link to E.A.K. Ramen

2 Likes

What do you get at E.A.K.?

Ramen.

1 Like

They have more than one kind. But thanks for your helpfulness.

I enjoyed the oh so hot

1 Like

Thanks Boo. We went today. I’ll put it on a Ramen thread tonight.

To re-divert this Artelice thread back on track, the news is that Artelice Patisserie has relocated just two storefronts down, to the other side of (what used to be) Balconi Coffee…

2 Likes

Oh wow, that’s a much bigger space. Good for them! Are they open yet

Not that I’m aware of…

Open weekends only

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! And Welcome to FTC!

Welcome!

Is that where the Frame Store used to be? That corner gives me bad feng shui vibes…

1 Like

Yes, and more recently it was home to L’Equipe Cafe (which, for many reasons, was never busy)…

1 Like

Visited for the first time for their exotic vanilla buche de Noel.

From their description: “Madagascar vanilla bean mousse, Passion fruit, banana and mango confit, mango/ passion cremeux, Rice Krispie hazelnut layer and chocolate sponge.”

Not a huge fan of white chocolate (the outer shell layer) but loved everything else.

Staff seems pretty cool. They gave me a couple freebie macarons, which were good, but I was more focused on the cake.

They also offered a chocolate buche de noel (70% Valrhona Guanaja chocolate mousse, Cherries soaked in brandy and morello cherry insert.)

13 Likes

The description of that chocolate buche de noel sounds absolutely scrumptious.

I want my COVID-19 vaccine ASAP!

2 Likes

Artelice is opening a second location soon, in Downtown Burbank

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, do we know what kind of butter Artelice uses? Domestic or imported?

Edit: They do use French butter.

Stopped by the Burbank location to grab a few desserts just for fun. Ended up passing on their croissants.

Their desserts are quite beautiful…almost on the level of Dominque Ansel. While these are good, I think the flavors miss the mark a touch. The layer of white chocolate they use to give the domes structure, make the dessert a little too sweet and the mirror glaze has a funky gelatinous texture that I didn’t find too pleasing…and I like gelatinous things.

The macarons are very good. Nice crisp shatter with the perfect amount of chew. Flavors are subtle.

Glad I tried it, but won’t be in a rush to return.

Staff here is very nice though. We talked about being sensitive to rose-flavored things and he assured us that he has the same problem, but their rose macaron is one of their best. He threw one in for us to sample…unfortunately, we will have to agree to disagree because it still tastes like soap to us.

2 Likes

I might’ve actually tried some of their pastries (can’t remember, which might indicate how unmemorable they were), but my own impression from reviews is pretty much what you wrote: their goods perhaps prioritize style over flavor.

2 Likes