August 2021 Rundown

We might’ve just missed each other. Loved the kakigori.

Perfect amount of sweetness to me. Lime cream complemented the :watermelon: really well. And the syrup tasted just like watermelon juice without losing any freshness. As a bonus, you basically get a nice slushy on the bottom with watermelon balls and half melted shaved ice. :heart::heart_eyes::heart:

15 Likes

where did you eat yours?

Second floor of Far East Plaza under the shade :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Damn that looks insanely good and refreshing. I really enjoyed my Thai Tea Kakigori at Majordomo. So I am pretty sure I’ll love this one.

thought you boys were sharing one together :wink: @PorkyBelly

1 Like

Hakata Izakaya Hero

pacific oysters
meaty and delicious, really liked the ponzu sauce.

assorted sashimi
this came with about eight different types of fish, but the hikarimono was crazy good. i believe they were flown in that day and so fresh i don’t think it was sujime’d at all.

grilled wild unagi, wasabi
nice fluffy texture with crispy skin, only wasabi and salt were needed. excellent.

ebi chili
this was fine

pork belly and scallion
fine, a bit under seasoned.

teba gyo - jidori stuffed chicken wing gyoza
highlight, so good :heart: :blush: :heart:
i’ll be ordeing more of these next time.

gyoza
good

16 Likes

Look at the number of spoons!

2 Likes

clearly @moonboy403’s kakigori had more loft than mine :poop:

13 Likes

Nanbankan West LA - I can’t believe I didn’t discover this place sooner. I no longer have to drive all the way down to Torrance to get my yakitori fix. Great food & service - have already gone back and can’t wait to go back again.

11 Likes

their pricing is pretty reasonable too!

1 Like

Definitely. We’ve been averaging $60-$80pp all in, and have been eating and tipping well.

2 Likes

NBK is a treasure.
While I prefer Yakitori-ya’s chicken and soboro don, the very strong vegatable/lambchop/seafood/kitchen program at NBK make it easy-ish for me overlook the frozen chicken.

3 Likes

the seafood/veggie game here is absurd. lamb chops came perfectly cooked. and the duck was a surprise winner.

I mean just look at this:

11 Likes

Agreed on Yakitori-ya but i do like the variety and options at Nanbankan.

2 Likes

In another corner of the foodernet, The Ostracized One reports that Torihei is back firing on all cylinders. Anyone been recently?

1 Like

That’s great to know.

1 Like

Self Ostracized, IIRC.
Something to do with mosquitoes and smog.

6 Likes

Didn’t like the game that was being played, took his ball and went home

5 Likes

and something about curry.

2 Likes

Sorry for distracting the conversation. In taking inventory of LA-area yakitori scene…

Joints that seem to be doing fine:

• Nanbankan (Sawtelle)
  • Yakitoriya (Sawtelle)
  • Torimatsu (Gardena)

Any updates on…?

• Torihei (Torrance)
  • Koshiji (Torrance)

I have never been to Torigoya (Little Tokyo), but I have been seeing some Japanese Instagrammers singing its praises recently. How does it stack up to the restaurants listed above?

1 Like