August 2023 Rundown

Yikes!!! Well, I stand corrected.

Is the pizza style Japanese, though?

it’s tokyo style neapolitan made by a korean chef in la

6 Likes

Gee, thanks for that final clarification. Not condescending at all. I’ll be sure not to respond to your posts in the future.::shrug::

1 Like

wasn’t trying to be condescending, I was trying to emphasize the melding of all the different styles that go into his pizza (Italian, japanese, korean, la)

14 Likes

Al pastor style mushroom tacos at last Friday’s Comal LA vegan popup at Loqui. Marinated to perfection

9 Likes

In Bloom - Paso Robles

This place had been on my radar for a while, finally found the opportunity. I dined solo but didn’t let that stop me. Every time I’ve looked at the menu it’s been pretty focused which made it even easier to trust ordering a handful of dishes and knowing they’d go together.

Usually when on my own I use the meal as an opportunity to chill in silence and reflect on how much daydreaming I do. This time I had a book and some scratch paper, thought maybe I’d occupy myself. I was sat near a window tho and couldn’t resist watching traffic go by on Spring St.

Always take the opportunity to stop and slow down

Summer Salad - bibb lettuce, green onion dressing, tomato, black pepper oats, pecorino

You gotta have a salad and I’m glad they offered this one.

Eggplant - tomato & fennel hummus, poached cherry tomatoes, sourdough (more slices than pictured)

One of my bites of the year for sure. I almost talked myself out of it because I figured the other dishes were enough but I’d like to give a shout to the server who was like, we were talking about it a bit, you sure you don’t want to add on that eggplant?

Roussanne, Viognier, Grenache Blanc by Clos Solène - if some lemons and a grapefruit started a rock band?! I like the idea of a guy from Languedoc-Rousillon heading to Bordeaux then winding up in Paso Robles. I think this was my first wine from Clos Solène and I’m glad I decided to stay local.

Gnudi - tomato fonduta, local corn & cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, parmesan

Yes, just yes. I coulda sat with this dish for a while

Baby Squash - grilled squash & zucchini, rosé beurre blanc, white chocolate & rice crumble

When I was looking at the menu in the weeks leading up to dinner the rosé beurre blanc was the first component that kept jumping out at me like yeah I want whatever that’s a part of

Duck Breast - smoked strawberry agrodolce, lavender, fennel soubise, bee pollen

Those white strawberries hot damn, preserved in a salted lavender syrup.

Not sure whether I was served George or one of the associates

Cannoli - espresso, sea salt caramel, cookie crumble

what a follow after the duck and the perfect setup for a walk around town

Daytrip - Oakland

Hot Focaccia - overnight sourdough, heirloom Iraqi durum wheat, basil oil & housemade vinegar

Guess I forgot to picture this. Imagine great bread

Cheese - three cheese chosen by the kitchen: diverse milks, small-batch producers, ooey-gooey, soft & firm

from right to left. My favorite was the chèvre but that’s because my favorite is pretty much always the chèvre. I loved this selection too because goats and sheep participate in making some badass cheeses

Chardonnay-Savagnin by Champ Divin - I saw this bottle on the wall and figured it was time to start the party.

Red Gems & Broccoli Di Ciccio with Hazelnut Pesto - August peaches, popped sorghum

Big ole chunks of peaches!

Charred Scallop Crudo - sun gold water, painted serpent cucumber, cuttlefish ink

wish there were more cucumbers, more tomatoes and more scallops lol

Monterey-Bay Squid & English Peas - champagne-pickled cherries, daikon, rhubarb vinaigrette

Shitty picture but I really loved my random bites of daikon. They totally amped the dish up, something slightly limey about them if I remember correct but damn the necessity was so unexpected

Butter Poached New Potatoes - lactose fermented mulberry, fermented bean curd, finger lime

This was the dish of the night. Maybe my favorite use of finger limes I’ve experienced, little zest bursts hiding in the sauce

Miso Butter Pasta - Shared Cultures morel miso, kelp pearls, gochugaru & marash chilis

Not sure if it’s always on but get it when you see it, delicious

Anderson Ranch Harissa Lamb Sausage - steamed milk bun, fancy pork sauce, olive crumb

Another favorite. Coulda used a milk bun twice, three times, maybe four times the size

Rosemary Panna Cotta - Frog Hollow Farm new harvest olive oil

I shoulda combined this with the shortcake bars. The tart of the bars and creaminess of the cotta, what a great way to have desserts just go together

Strawberry Shortcake Mini Ice Cream Bars - Albion strawberry gelato, strawberry shell, shortcake crumb

I’m so glad these were still on the menu. They’d been posted on ig a couple months ago and I was like there’s no way. But there was a way.

19 Likes

Good coffee!

JT Country Cafe

Date Shake at The Dez

I’ll probably leave my Airbnb pretty damn rarely tomorrow morning before the rain starts pounding.

I am a city guy (LA, NYC, SF) and a beach guy. But wow this place is utterly beautiful and peaceful.

19 Likes

You manage to catch any of the Perseids out there? We’re a little past peak but they’re still around until September and I think the moon is in a good phase for meteor showers right now assuming there are no clouds

2 Likes

I was out by Arch Rock from 830pm-100am and I saw maybe one. I saw the Starlink satellites lol.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s bonkers. We were up by Switzer Falls at peak Perseids the night of 8/12 and we only saw a few also. I thought it was maybe mild cloud cover or light pollution even that far from LA. When I was a kid at my parents in Northern California I used to just stay up nights before the school year started and I remember seeing a lot more shooting stars than we did last week

2 Likes

I went up the 2 then on the road to Lancaster, whatever that turnoff is. Probably had 15 in an hour, but only a few good ones. This was 11 pm on the 12th.

3 Likes

It’s the Angeles Forest Highway. The 2 is the Angeles Crest Highway.
Best local place I have found for viewing meteors is the top of Mt. Pinos. Take the Frazier Mountain Park exit off the 5 and drive to the top. It gets pretty crowded for the Perseids, but hardly anyone for the Quadrantids or any other non-summer shower. It’s 9000+ feet so it’s a lot cooler than LA.
In response to @WireMonkey I spent a few years running a retreat center in Sonoma County. I remember one Perseid shower on a moonless night laying on the diving board watching the fireworks. My count was around 114. There were a number of sizzling stars, a rare phenomena in my experience.
To tie this into food I have had a number of good meals in Joshua Tree.

8 Likes

I miss stars. :stars:

4 Likes

Sometimes you just gotta order!

11 Likes

Speaking of……

I’ve tried the tomato wrap and onion wrap.
I don’t get the hype at all.

3 Likes

In the same area is Pine Mountain Club which is fairly dark and not crowded. Just move away from the highway, throw down a blanket and look up. Saw lots of meteors after midnight. Food choices are minimal but Perch was good and had a varied menu.

2 Likes

If you go all the way up the mountain there is a parking lot at the top. No worries about the highway. Only food is what you bring.

1 Like

Never tried but I’ve never really had an impulse to try a naked burger maybe if u do Keto I’ll try and report back

2 Likes

To me, Protein style double double is best. That’s the lettuce wrapped. They REALLY do it well.

Or take 2 slices of keto bread with you.

5 Likes

Caught some Surf & Sun yesterday before the storm. It was a little overcast but beautiful and hard to believe a big storm was coming our way. :cyclone:

My cousin made Caprese Sandwiches & Pasta Salad. I brought Ciabatta Sandwiches and Ham & Brie Ficelles from Joan’s on 3rd (beverly-grove) which my cousins called bougie before wolfing them down.

It was a really fun day! :ocean: :sun_with_face: :beach_umbrella:

12 Likes