Baar Baar (Indian DTLA)

Warrior: good restaurant. I think everyone here will like it. Best dish tonight was the pinwheel paneer. 5.3 Warrior Points.

4 Likes

second visit was equally good.

1 Like

That looks really good!

1 Like

Warrior: this food is wicked good. Best butter chicken I’ve had by a wide margin. The mango chili sorbet was amazing. The kofta was great too.

2 Likes

Excited to try. The NY one started great (they did these amazing set dinners or a bunch of smaller versions of the dishes) then it rapidly descended into a clubstaurant and I walked by on Saturday night when I happened to be in the city visiting family and it was EMPTY

1 Like

The prawns and lamb kabob were my favorite things. The only thing I tried that was pictured above was the butter chicken, which was indeed very good. Even though the butter chicken was somehow $36 for that dish alone, I thought the overall bill was reasonable.

3 Likes

We loved it.

Chutneys were great

Shrimp are incredible, Pinwheel Paneer, Butter Chicken, Branzino in Banana leaf (table favorite), Duck Taco (table favorite), Fava and Corn Kofta - excellent, Lamb Keema…all so good.

7 Likes

Went to Baar Baar tonight and fully enjoyed it everything was good. Service was uneven and we had to wait a bit to be seated for our reservation and it took forever for us to get a drink at the bar.

They were however very hospitable and nice and even comped a dish that came out slow. Would definitely go back the vibe, food, drinks are definitely worth exploring further.

3 Likes

My girlfriend and I had late evening plans in Pasadena and wanted to grab an earlier dinner somewhere on the way over. Baar Baar has been on my list for a while, so it seemed like an opportune time. They were running an early seating prix fixe for $65/pp and a late seating prix fixe for $125/pp.

We got:

Butternat squash shorba

Potato tikki chat
Kashmiri lamb ribs

Cauliflower mussallam
Butter chicken
served with pancheml dal, saffron rice, 2 types of naan

Cashew cake
Coconut & persimmon meringue

Everything except the dessert was fantastic. Definitely the best Indian food I have eaten in LA. The closest comp I can think of in LA is Badmaash (which I enjoy), but that’s selling this place short. Baar Baar is better and more refined in every regard compared to Badmaash. Good value for $65 per person - it was a really solid amount of food. May or may not write more later, but I highly recommend this place – check it out before it turns into a clubstaurant!

For sake of comparison, here’s the late seating menu…one more course (and a champagne toast) for nearly double the price?

4 Likes

Baar Baar the night before nye very delicious. Butter chicken was not as good as last time. Sauce was a bit muted and flavor did not pop as much. Highlight was the avocado bhel.

I’m not usually so much of a vibe person but the vibes in there are outstanding and definitely a contrast to most other hip restaurants in LA more of a grand/east coast feel.

1 Like

Try Khan Saab Desi in Fullerton if you’re in the area. I remember it being on par with Baar Baar. Khan Saab Desi Craft Kitchen – Fullerton - a MICHELIN Guide Restaurant

Closer to home, Mayura, Arth, and Spice Affair are worth a try but aren’t in the same league IMO.

A restaurant I haven’t gone to but plan to soon is Bhookhe. Artesia’s Rajasthani restaurant Bhookhe serves a thali feast - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

I’m not a fan of Badmaash. I would vote for pretty much any Indian restaurant over Badmaash.

1 Like

Peony and I would both vote for Baar Baar over Bhookhe, recognizing that it’s apples and oranges. But Bhookhe is a good experience and worth the drive. Something else to see down there is the Cerritos sculpture garden.

1 Like

For those interested in Bhookhe there is an Indian classical music concert nearby in Cerritos on March 24 at 3 pm. https://tickets.cerritoscenter.com/7095.

1 Like