Backseat moderators, have at it

Because this is where the action is. Lots of info to cull.

3 Likes

Robert, you donā€™t mind if we talk about you like youā€™re not here, right? :laughing: But seriously, he was right on that one. I thought Ipse was out of line.

2 Likes

True.

But then you didnā€™t really leave, did you?

Dramatics for nothing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never really participated heavily online in anything except for ftc, itā€™s definitely opened my eyes to how dramatic/hysterical ppl can get.

4 Likes

Ditto

2 Likes

Lol you arenā€™t wrong, but I still miss the grumpy blue dot (not enough to go to HO though). You are welcome back @ipsedixit if youā€™re listening

3 Likes

Odd statement, since the only ā€œrobustā€ regional board here is LA.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true (LA being the only robust section on FTC)

I was never a chowhound person and only learned of FTC from an eater article in 2014 or ā€˜15. While living in Glendale it was a fantastic resource. After leaving, while I still enjoy the discussions and people, itā€™s much less relevant.

Iā€™ve only lately gotten around to being active on HO. Itā€™s broader, so itā€™s a little more difficult to get a feel for things, but I find the mix of folks there (many familiar from here) helpful and informative about their given regions. Thereā€™s more cooking/baking depth there and a little more ā€˜food adjacentā€™ discussion.

If I need food info on the LA or So Cal region, Iā€™m coming here. Most anywhere else, while Iā€™ll certainly check here, Iā€™d probably rely on HO more.

4 Likes

Exactly. Except even Hungry Onionā€™s NYC contingent (my home base) is a shadow of what Chowhound was in its heyday. If a similar resource exists to the Chowhound Manhattan board, I have not found it.

1 Like

Yes, but itā€™s hella robust. You wonā€™t find anything like it on HO. Just like you wonā€™t find any home cooking threads on FTC as robust as HO. Itā€™s just the way it is.

2 Likes

And itā€™s the only one that is. HOs NYC coverage is improving, slowly, and its NJ coverage is even more complete. FTC has - as far as I can tell - no growth anywhere but LA. Probably due to where its users are, geographically. It seems like the NYC posts here are primarily made by people who live elsewhere, whereas the NYC posts on HO are made by people - like me - who live in NYC.

2 Likes

Exactly. The folks here ARE more well traveled than the average bear and certainly have lots to offer, but no one knows an areaā€™s ins and outs like longtime residents.

2 Likes

Yes, but weā€™re talking about Chowseeker and Ipse. Both LA posters.

I almost wrote that the NJ board is the most active regional board on HO but didnā€™t want to be too wordy lol. But as active as HOs NJ board is a member caused a stir by posting his NJ restaurant dinners on home cookingā€™s Whatā€™s for Dinner because itā€™s where the action is. Just as a couple home cooks on FTC have been known to slip in a homemade meal on the restaurant thread Monthly Rundown because itā€™s where the action is here.

2 Likes

Who is? Iā€™m not. And Iā€™m unsure what your point is.

If that happened, Iā€™m unaware of it. People will mention that Whatā€™s for Dinner is intended for home cooking, but ā€œcaused a stirā€ implies contentiousness, which I do not believe there was. Posting your restaurant meals there is not all that uncommon. I donā€™t do it, or at least I donā€™t remember ever doing it, and if it were up to me, Iā€™d rather have people just start threads about the restaurants they eat at. Particularly if they eat there a lot, which - if weā€™re talking about the same poster - seems to be the case.

Youā€™re right. Youā€™re not talking about it so I didnā€™t mean you. Youā€™re butting in with your two cents on a conversation you are obtusely or ignorantly unaware of. Like on HO. There was definitely contention about posting restaurant meals on the Whatā€™s for Dinner thread to the point of people wanting to take a vote. The yays won. Hurt feelings were had and a poster left. I care and pay attention to the people I communicate with. Do you? That you donā€™t (here or on HO) is not my problem and not my responsibility to explain.

1 Like

If you want to have a private conversation, to keep people from ā€œbutting in,ā€ then take it to a PM. You know, like you did when you PMā€™d me to call me a bitch.

2 Likes

Ho Hoā€¦ again, youā€™re not paying attention if you think Iā€™m not capable of calling you a bitch in the open forum. I was being respectful to other posters and you too in some respect. Because this goes farther back then your comments here which I find a minor irritant. I think you are a bitch who adds no value to this site and one who was a party to a most valued member, Bulavinaka, leaving FTC for good, as I said on DM. So if your intent is to embarrass me by calling me out then have at it. Iā€™ll let peeps judge for themselves who the bitch is. This was the last day Bulavinaka posted on FTCā€¦

3 Likes

One wonders why you donā€™t just block me, then. As I also suggested to you in our little tete-a-tete.

1 Like

Mjpopcorn.gif

1 Like

Save me some. I find this as interesting as you do.