BAGELS.... and more bagels

So, it’s been a while since my last bagel expedition. Had to be up early here in Santa Monica so it was a good time to try a place I’ve had recommended before. Sams. They have a location on Main here in SM. I assume they’re related.I once had a decent bagel at Sams in Larchmont. But that was 10 years ago so my memories may not be that accurate.

I did my usual photograph against the tiles so you can compare sizes in my photos above. The bagels were very large, however they were not very heavy.

VERY soft, kinda spongy. But not doughy.

No crisp. Very much in the vein of Noah’s. Even Western’s bagels are more dense. Not much chew, good flavor.

Eating the side without the toppings and I was transported back in time to when I was in a town with no bagel shop and was forced to eat a Thomas’s.

The toasted was better, but obviously did not help these chew-challenged objects.

This “bagel” is probably well-suited for “bagel” sandwiches. But this was my least favorite of all bagel places, except Noah’s and Einstein. Bummed I wasted probably 500 calories.

The 4 hole-y breads cost a tad over $5.

Btw, sign said they were moving to Montana. I was thinking I’d probably consider them a good bagel for the State of Montana, but I think they meant Montana Ave in SM.

So in my pecking order, these fit the category of “Not Bagels that call themselves bagels.”

So ranking those:

Gjusta
Western
Sam’s (Santa Monica)
Noah’s*
Einstein*

*these should not be on anyone’s list … for anything. Lender’s, Sara Lee, Thomas’s, any store brand from the market are ALL better.

7 Likes

Hank’s… A Deli Of Sorts

Went to the location in Sherman Oaks on Ventura Boulevard. It had been a while since I’ve been.

These bagels are far from traditional. But I find the texture to be really appealing because I personally enjoy a chewy bagel and the bagel itself does not rely on toppings for its flavor

EVERYTHING BAGEL with nova cream cheese ($5.25)
(though they mistakenly call it “lox)

Most of their bagels have very few if any toppings. Their onion bagel has no discernible onion. But the everything bagel they top well.

Some bagel places only cream cheese one side and put it together as a sandwich. Hanks does it right by putting cream cheese on both sides. You can eat it open-faced.

ONION BIALY ($5.25)

Their version of an onion Bialy. They are $1.50 more than their bagels.They put sweated onions on them. Very unusual. I found that little bit of oil to be offputting

Doggie is pissed I left him in the car

They have another location in Toluca Lake, maybe it’s Burbank.

https://www.hanksbagels.com/

12 Likes

How is that roll with no hole in the middle a bagel?

1 Like

Lol that’s a good point, I was too busy devouring

You could tell where there was a hole before they baked it.

1 Like

Love me some Hanks!

Is there a single place in LA that has proper lox and calls it such? (Other than Barney Greengrass back in the day.) I feel like we should all just come to grips with the fact that most places outside NYC call it lox and it’s gonna be nova.

2 Likes

Always thought Wexler’s served nova and they just call it “lox.” Is that not the case?

2 Likes

You are correct. They DO NOT serve lox. It is smoked. I’ve asked. Also on their about page they refer to smoked salmon.

You are also correct about Barney Greengrass. There also was a deli on Nordhoff that had belly lox. They stopped serving it a few years before they closed down.

This is the case in NYC now as well. At Russ & Daughters If you are not “of age” :open_mouth: like me, if you ask for lox, they assume you mean nova. @robert posted an article about this somewhere.

The chefs and restaurants have been using the term interchangeably so they could bait and switch us. Pricks.

Soon, even donuts will be called bagels. Or vice versa :wink:

3 Likes

Treachery most foul!

3 Likes

Maybe the only way to get real lox is mail-order?

https://russanddaughters.goldbelly.com/18729-belly-lox?ref=search

I TOTALLY concur.

My neighbors daughter went to New York and brought back bagels today. She gave me one.

Immediately I knew it was Ess-a.

I have found some excellent bagel bakeries here in Los Angeles. The bagel game has definitely gotten better over the years.

But they are not even close to the bagel nirvana that is Ess-a.

My only complaint, is that this batch, they were a little thick. But it doesn’t matter. LOL!

They are dense but not overly so, chewy but not too chewy. Don’t know how to describe them. And they taste great without cream cheese or butter. This is my idea of bagel perfection. Or close to it.

They are available on Goldbelly, too!

8 Likes

Bagels have holes in them and are not poofy.

Like Thomas

You mean like Thomas’s or Noah’s or Sara Lee. :wink:

Also round poofy bread and not bagels.

1 Like

Bagel Hole, Brooklyn:

Ess-a-bagel has been making those incredible non-bagels in NYC since the 70’s. If there was ever a better bagel maker in NYC back then, I never had it. I have no idea if they are still as great as they were or if the competition has caught up. But I still dream of hitting up the original store on 1st Ave for a freshly made hot non-bagel.

3 Likes

If people love Ess-A’s poofy bread, that’s great, but they’re no more bagels than nova is lox. There’s nothing wrong with liking poofy round bread or nova except that calling them by the wrong names means that it’s hard verging on impossible to find the real thing.

From over 20 years ago on Chowhound:

Charles: I have always felt that the bagels at E-a-B (the one on First Avenue) were not only not good, but rather repulsive–mushy and sour. I was first served them about 10 years ago and felt sorry for my host who clearly had no taste. Then I saw the raves in Zagat, etc.

Elaine: … I agree that Ess-A-Bagel is actively repulsive - huge squishy foul-tasting things … some guide or other (perhaps NY magazine) once claimed greatness for them. If you didn’t grow up with good bagels (i.e., in the 90% of the country served only by Lender’s and Bruegger’s), you might be easily fooled. …

Michelle: I think it’s just a matter of what you grew up with. If you lived in the NY area and [were over 35 in 2000] you probably like the bagels which are thin, more dense with a moist inside and have a delicate crunch when you bite into them. If you’re younger you may like the fluffy ones. …

Jim Leff in reply to Michelle: Absolutely right. And I’ll take it further. Though it pains me to say it, fluffy huge airy bagels are now what “NY Style Bagels” ARE. Style is as style does, and those of us who love compact, dense, shiny, blistery bagels are a tiny fading minority. We lost.

Yeah I’m an old Jew from back east. And I’ve eaten bagels every week my entire life.

I know nothing about what a real bagel is. It’s the hole that makes it different? That’s the problem when they’re handspun. Sometimes the hole isn’t so big. Sometimes they’re puffier than other times. The texture IS NOT suffering in these. These were not “bready “at all. And that discussion calling them “fluffy?” They are idiots. Noah’s are fluffy. These are not fluffy. I like chewy dense bagels. These are perfect.

As opposed to those Montreal-looking bagel photos with the giant hole. (I know they’re not Montreal style just busting chops)

Your comparison to lox and nova is absurd.

I’m not arguing this anymore. It’s ridiculous. Though I’m up for those Bagel Hole bagels. Send me some.

@CiaoBob , you are correct.

2 Likes

It’s not a comparison. Where I live I can’t buy real lox except mail-order and currently I know only one deli that sells real bagels (for $3 each).

Could you define “real” lox please? Also I feel so sorry for you. There are so many great bagel places in Seattle that we finally picked just one and buy them a dozen at a time and freeze them. We used to bring a couple of dozen back from Absolute Bagel in the Upper Upper West Side :slight_smile: