BAGELS.... and more bagels

LOL! yeah, definite sticker shock for me.

Thanks for reminding me about Lou’s.

1 Like

Hank’s is terrific. They do a great gravalax sandwich. They’ve been getting busier and busier lately, with a lot of their stuff sold out by late morning on the weekends. Hopefully their second location will help.

6 Likes

According to Eater LA:

• Good news, bagel fans: Hank’s Bagels is ready to roll open the doors to its new Sherman Oaks location at 13545 Ventura Boulevard, with an arrival planned for Tuesday, January 19, bright and early.
3 Likes

Oh, I was going to head out to Burbank this weekend, but I’ll just wait instead of the Sherman Oaks location to open. :smiley:

But if you go to Burbank, you can drop by Lou The French on the Block for some tasty croissants and pan bagnat (tuna is my fave).

2 Likes

Oh, well, I do always love a good croissant and sandwich… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Especially after eating a bagel with cream cheese. :wink: YAY CARBS!!

So years ago I used to commute from the Valley to Ventura. On the way in Camarillo was a pretty decent bagel shop called Old New York Deli & Bakery. I can’t attest to them as a deli, but they do bake their own bagels.

Turns out, they opened a location in Woodland Hills in the Amazon grocery plaza (the one that used to have the Toys R Us).

The bagels are $1.49 each. Bakers dozen is a bargain at $12.99.

And they have an excellent selection:

The salt bagels…actually have salt on them. Both sides.

The bagels are slightly crispy on the outside, exterior was a bit tough and crusty, inside was good and chewy.

Texture was not as good as Hank’s but this is a pretty good proximity to an east coast bagel. They remind me of NY Bagel & Deli on Wilshire.

The bialy didn’t remind me of a bialy. Tasted more like a non-boiled onion bagel. Still it was quite tasty, warmed with melting butter (the way a bialy should be eaten IMHO :wink:

Too full to try the everything bagel. Had a pound of bacon for breakfast like a good Jew.

Like I said, they have a full deli, though I’ve never had anything from the menu.

Speaking of which, here’s a link to the PDF menu.

Old New York Deli & Bakery
6209 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

8 Likes

Oh yeah. They ruled LA for a long time. I still think of them as well.

2 Likes

Had a fantastic bagel and lox from Dough Exchange in downtown Santa Ana. It’s a passion project from the team behind Playground, and they are slinging some great bagels made in-house.

Loaded Lox ($16)

Lox, scallion cream cheese, capers, tomato, red onion, dill on an everything bagel. This was crazy good, one of those meals you keep thinking about long after it’s over.

The bagel is ultra soft on the inside, and the “everything” toppings are all on point.

Can’t wait to have another. Only problem is that the street vendors drew a huge crowd on the Saturday I was there. It was impossible to get into the store without dodging people left and right. Will have to return when the area is less busy.

11 Likes

I hate to sound like a broken record, just curiosity since I’m desperately trying to find it…

Is this lox (cured) or smoked salmon (nova)?

Here out west they haphazardly use the two terms interchangeably :laughing:

Thanks so much! Looks great!!!

3 Likes

Totally fair question! And not sure I have an answer for it. The menu says “Hand Sliced Ora King Salmon Lox,” so beats me!

3 Likes

That’s a good looking menu.

Bagel French toast!

Last place I’ve seen that was NY Bagel Company on San Vicente in Brentwood. Never had it but it was super popular.

1 Like

The Gr8pimpin Festival of Carbs continues…

Hank’s A Deli of Sorts at their new location in Sherman Oaks.

Big location. Has enough room for several tables and room for sidewalk seating whenever this pandemic gets under control.

Online ordering only. So they are very safety oriented, hand sanitizer on the tables all masked and gloved employees.

As for the bagel, I got an onion bagel this time with cream cheese. The texture is excellent yet thin layer of crispiness and nice and chewy not doughy interior. Fantastic bagel with lots of cream cheese. $4.

However, they must use a new breed of onion that I will call the invisible onion. Not only was there no onion visible, there was only a slight hint of onion flavor in the bagel itself.

This is really, a travesty ( :wink: )

So, if you like your bagels to have the flavor of the topping, (and why would anyone want that?), maybe Hanks isn’t for you.

Btw, here’s their posted sandwich menu:

13545 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

5 Likes

Does anyone recall the bialy they used to make at the original I & Joy. That was the best!

5 Likes

Wow, haven’t heard that name in a while! that used to be a regular after mass spot when I was a kid. I stuck tightly to onion or salt bagels at the time though.

they were really yummy!! lots of onions!

All the former I&Joys make that bialy. Abraham in Encino, NY Bagel & Deli on Wilshire, I think the Manhattan bagel locations that were I&Joy do as well.

Isn’t that the way they were at I&Joy?

I mean I’ve probably eaten a hundred, unfortunately I can’t find a photo except this one, that really doesn’t represent what it looks like.

Found another though this one from Abraham … it’s changed a bit more over the last couple of years and isn’t as good as NYB&D.

Kind of like this only they were crispier and browner on top…

1 Like

Looks very similar. No one does original I & Joy anymore.

Generous NYT piece covering the California bagel scene:

4 Likes