BAGELS.... and more bagels

@Happybaker Great job on those!!! They look great!!!

I have not tried Maurys yet. They’ve been on my list for a while. Trying to get to all of them LOL

1 Like

Wish commercial places would be generous as you are w/ the toppings!

6 Likes

Yay you, taking one (or many!) for the team! Please do report on maury’s : )

And thanks for your kind words.

1 Like

Brooklyn Bagel is that generous - but with the lockdown I haven’t been there as much and with the new owners, not sure if they have the killer frozen deals they used to. I think they do still have the half off from 1 - 2pm M-F - and that’s nice. Current regular price, from what I can see online, is $1.50 a bagel (and they are not huge but very tasty). That makes it $18 a dozen but if you can get there at the golden hour? $9 a dozen. A steal when you can get that and they freeze beautifully.

That said, having tried the Peter Renhart recipe? Do try making them yourself, it’s easier than you think. Mix the dough in a food processor, age in an oiled ziplock in the fridge for at least two days, measure into 6ths or 8ths (use a ruler, it’s the easiest), shape, boil, top and bake. To get the generous toppings? Don’t sprinkle, have a shallow bowl or a plate filled with the toppings you like, then when you take the bagel out from it’s boil, dump it into the toppings and shake it about. Take it out and flip onto the sprayed parchment paper on the baking sheet. That’s how you get a deeper coverage.

Below is the recipe I used. And when Brooklyn Bagel Bakery was shut down due to the fallen wall? I shipped bagels from New York and I have to say - this recipe was as good as those bagels. And WAY cheaper.

5 Likes

Except when you get undercooked ones or they sell you day-olds and pretend they’re new.

Happened to me both my times there. That is an unforgivable sin. Place here in Sherman Oaks does that, too.

I’ll never go back. (To either place) :cry:

1 Like

That’s awful!!! I would not go back there either, if that had happened to me.

In consolation, here’s a pic of my first try at bialy’s, using a batch of dough made the same day as the bagels but aged three more days. The shape is highly imperfect, clearly, but the taste was excellent. Definitely aging my bagel dough 6 days in the future (if I can remember to do so! :roll_eyes:)

First bialy's

May Maury’s give you joy when you finally get there!

6 Likes

He’s already starting low on my grading scale. No salt bagels. Just salt & pepper. Huh? :flushed:

Wow!! Ok, pass the butter*

*you’re from my neck of the woods. Isn’t that how you ate bialys?

2 Likes

Yes and Yes. Not sure if it’s a regional thing but, that’s how I ate them. Maybe cuz you really can’t slice them for lox and bagel? Dunno!

I don’t mind salt and pepper bagels, I’ve been known to top popcorn with salt and pepper. But to not offer any salt bagels at all??? Well, it’s his shop, so he gets to choose! (And I do hope to try his bagels one day.)

2 Likes

my family does butter on bialys too— and in my opinion, the more onions the better

3 Likes

@Happybaker, those bialys look great!!! Any chance you ship to San Diego? :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@RedDevil -

I was all set to ask why you didn’t get some at Brooklyn Bagel & Bialy (as the pics looked great and they had fab reviews) and now I see that they are closed : ( So sorry!

Since you don’t have to boil them, just bake, I highly rec giving the recipe a try. So the fillings don’t burn, you used dried garlic or onions, soak them, then bake. If you have a food processor it is easy peasy.

3 Likes

@Happybaker, I’ve tried home bagels a few times without much success but not bialys. Both your bagels and bialys look delicious.

1 Like

Funny , just made them for first time too. Sourdough using perfect loaf recipe. Thought it was intimidating but after going through the process it wasn’t too bad

8 Likes

The FIRST time in AT LEAST 15 years that I’ve seen this on a menu in LA!

OUT OF STOCK? Nooooooo 😢

His bagels could be Wonder Bread with the crust removed and bent into a bagel shape and I’d be ok with it if there was some real lox on it.

2 Likes

Every time I’ve seen “lox” on a menu that did not also have “nova,” they’ve sold only nova.

Yep, I’ve noticed the same.

Out here they use the word “lox” haphazardly. They’re trying to rewrite the definition, bait and switch.

And the workers have no idea of the difference. Often times I’ll ask, just to make sure. And they look at me like an alien stole their brains.

Funny, Nova used to be way more expensive than lox.

Those are stunning!!! Great job!!!

2 Likes

Early morning on the westside again so revisiting one of the better bagel bakeries in Los Angeles, New York Bagel & Deli.

I went to the location on Wilshire at 22nd in Santa Monica. They have another location on National near Barrington.

They cost about $1.50 each. Cheaper by the bakers dozen. They put toppings on both sides.

These are excellent. Slight crisp on the salt bagels. The others were cooked a little longer and were very crisp. I admit, I do also like them when they get dark and crunchy.

Nice and chewy, not doughy. And definitely not “Bread-like” in texture so they boil them long enough.

@Thor The bialys are just about the same as I&Joy. I used to get a dozen bagels every Sunday and 6 of those were bialys. This used to be an I&Joy location. Today they were cooked a little bit more than the last several times I was here. Not gonna lie, I like the crunch. Super-crunchy bottom. So tasty. Not a traditional bialy but they are awesome.

NYB&D is definitely in my top five, possibly my top three bagel places in Los Angeles.

Bagel went really well with my homemade corned beef hash. No glory shot. just a close-up.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bialy. Will need to try next time I’m there.

B/c I’m so close to place, I literally refuse to eat a bagel from anywhere else now.

Are the 2 that possibly top this Hank’s and the place in Highland Park?

1 Like

Belle’s and Original Brooklyn Water Bagel. Though I haven’t been to the latter in a long while (hmmmmm maybe tomorrow?)

Hank’s disappoints me with toppings and their bagels are kind of non traditional.

I think my current pecking order of the places I’ve been to (subject to change, of course LOL):

Belles
Original Brooklyn Water Bagel
NY Bagel & Deli
Hank’s
Bagel Broker
Abraham
Old NY Bagel and Deli
Manhattan Bagel (Studio City)
Bagel Nosh
Bueller’s
New York Bagel Cafe (Sherman Oaks)
Brooklyn Bagel Bakery

My rankings of Not Bagels that call themselves bagels:

Gjusta
Western
Noah’s*
Einstein*

*these should not be on anyone’s list … for anything. I’d rather have a Sara Lee from the market.

I need to hit up Sam’s and Maury’s and a long overdue revisit to New York Bagel Company in Brentwood.

2 Likes