Baja - Valle de Guadalupe summer '23 recs

Anyone been recently and had something great? Gonna be there next week so we’re looking for some recs of what’s new and good in VdG. Haven’t been to Baja since November and we tend to stick to our usual spots: Troika F. Altozano/Animalón/Lupe, Deckman’s/Conchas, Ochento’s, Doña Esthela, Kous Kous.

Last I heard on Laja had taken a dive. True? La Justina was only ok. I would eat the burger again if I had a hankering.

Couple of spots we haven’t tried but are considering: Lunario, Salvaje, Fauna, BajaMed, Baja Omakase, Merak… Apart from Ochento’s we’ve never been anywhere in San Antonio so it’s pretty unexplored territory.

4 Likes

A bit out of date but had a great meal at Fauna right before the pandemic. Went to a wedding at Bruma catered by Fauna. The food was amazing and way better than most weddings I’ve been to.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread and specifically wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy liquor? Like bottles to take home, not to drink on site.

We’re driving there and back to LA and I don’t think we’ll have time to stop by Leyva’s in Tijuana and don’t really want to pay Old Town Liquor prices in San Diego

In the Valle I’m not sure of a place that sells a good variety of wine from the region. There’s a mini-mart where the 3 breaks of into Francisco Zarco with some wine. There’s a place that touts itself as a liquor store but the selection is pretty limited. In Ensenada there’s a shop that sells a decent variety.

If it’s spirits you’re talking about, I recommend that liquor store in Popotla near Rosarito. Even La European in TJ, either for wine or spirits. Maybe a bit more commercial of selection but the prices are good.

That said, I never bring back more than 2 liters because of SENTRI.

I’ve never looked into shipping, but Vinos Ce Acatl has I think a flat $5 shipping charge. Haven’t tried their wine. I only found them because someone recommended their port wine – which I still haven’t tried. I’ll be there next week. Maybe then.

This place is not bad: https://maps.app.goo.gl/KT9j9EtZ4wfUEw568

2 Likes

Ah, I guess I had that place bookmarked already! Haven’t been yet though. Don’t make it down in that direction too often

Honestly not worth it to buy tequila in MX. Best (additive-free) stuff all gets exported.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I’m just curious if we can find less common spirits like I posted way back in 2020. We may not even have time to really look (which is why we aren’t just stopping at Leyva’s) but we’ll see how it shakes out.