Barbacoa de Borrego

Aqui es Texcoco is pretty good. I’m a regular fixture at a barbacoa truck at the Mercado Olympic. Any other notable places?

There are a few around the Slauson Tracks/The 110 on the weekends (mine as well get a chicken or visit El Momo while you are in the area)

I haven’t been to Mercado Olympic in over a year!

Also Tacos Quetzalcoatl has a fine barbacoa with consome. The taquero, Mad Max is awesome! Be sure to try his other tacos

1 Like

Los Poblanos Restaurant on Jefferson Blvd. (between Normandie and Vermont).

Weekend only affair.

I would also check out Alameda Swap Meet (both sides)

I like the version at My Taco in Highland Park, chiefly because it is close to my house. It’s super tasty, with a cup of consomme and a special sauce you have to ask for. I call it Borrego sauce, but I think it has a special name.

1 Like

Gish Bac. Weekends only.

3 Likes

Barbacoa - East Los Angeles/La Puente :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Saw this place on the side of the road in La Puente and decided to try it out because I’m always game for some lamb barbacoa. Ordered a pound of mixto and a side of consumme.

Blam, delicious flavor of lamb and maguey at first bite. Second bite, dipped some lamb in the consumme and it was pretty spectacular. No clue what differentiates Hildago style barbacoa from others but what I can say is it was very delicious tasting. The intense lamb flavor is in perfect harmony with the slight spice from the consumme made for the perfect flavor. Love how rich and viscous the consumme is, the mouthfeel and flavor is the best I have had, which is really only a few popular places around town such as Aqui Es Texcoco and Taquiza Gilberto. The consumme is sold separately, don’t forget to grab a large cup if that’s your thing.

$22/lb barbacoa mixta
$5 for large cup consumme
$2.50 for small cup consumme

Ate this at home because we just finished eating lunch. They have some tables to eat roadside.

Weekends only. Hours and locations on their Facebook.

4 Likes

looks like they have 2 locations?

2 Likes