Best and Worst Dish you had in 2023?

My favorite and best dish I had this year was the crab taco at hotbox’s tasting menu. Remarkable! Wish it was on the menu all the time. And for the price it was a (very stuffy and bloated) but reasonable meal. Holbox does it right!

My least favorite dish wagyu zabuton at majordomo. absolutely no flavor, overpriced ($83) and had no originality or anything noteworthy to such an expensive dish. Was a tremendous disappointment. How is it still on the menu?

What were your favorite and least favorite dishes this year?

2 Likes

best = spinach at camphor
worst or at least most disappointing = “ode to zuni” chicken at aoc. so dry.

Bing being a close 2nd?

4 Likes

best dish: charcoal grilled kinki and roasted onion at hayato
worst: fig mooncake at kato. I was actually mad at how bad this was.

4 Likes

Best: Atotonilco…tacos de barbacoa, pancita, moronga, and consommé

6 Likes

Where is this?

2 Likes

Best: Asador bedua, zumaia

Worst: Lucille’s or if non-chain lasita

2 Likes

My favorite and best dish I had this year was the crab gohan at Hayato’s kaiseki menu. Terrific! Wish it was on the menu all the time (though I understand Chef Go will serve items only at the height of its season). And for the price it was a (very satisfying) and quality meal. Hayato does it right!

8 Likes

14263 Hoyt St
Arleta, CA
Sat and Sun @700am

1 Like

hell yeah!!

happy to link to the Eater article on it if you’re interested…

Confused at what you’re asking?

Best: The red sauce at Spirito’s in Carlsbad. And for that matter, their NYC style pizzas. Outstanding, cooked down all-day authentic East Coast Italian sauce almost impossible to find east of Chicago. The original was in Elizabeth NJ, so good even NY-ers would make the pilgrimage and NYC has literally thousands of great Italian joints.

Worst: Within my limited experience, any pizza in the Inland Empire!

4 Likes

I believe it’s this article

First time I heard about this stand was this article. Great story. Looking forward to checking it out sometime.

4 Likes

Kato’s uni donut and boba dishes remain my favorites in LA for another year.

Favorite meal was probably dinner at Gjelina due to food, wine and company.

Cafe Basque was easily the worst meal of the year. Not sure I could pick out a single dish as it all sucked.

3 Likes

Worst: Juliet in Culver City was easily my worst meal of the year. All dishes were over salted, and service wasn’t terrific. Each and every dish was terrible.

Best: Any and every meal at Birdie G’s this past year. Every dish each season is fantastic, even when I’m not sure about it from the description - and because the menu is ever changing, I’m always trying something new.

4 Likes

Best: Uni donut at Kato, Tilefish also Kato, Crab Quesataco Holbox.

Worst: Redefining this as aggressively mediocre for the price. Tostadas at Loreto (might be on an island but these are gloppy messes a la mall sushi in Scottsdale). Amatriciana @ Felix, burnt guanciale. Tacos @ El Ruso whenever Walter isn’t there.

The latter is a little uncharitable but I’m consistently flabbergasted by the love that place gets from Esparza and El Tragon, especially since I like their recs otherwise.

Sleeper: The Bo Ssam and Yuk Gae Jang at Yuk Dae Jang. A great takeout spot.

7 Likes

Is this a publication?

1 Like

Sorry, Memo Torres of LA Taco. That’s his insta handle.

2 Likes

Been a year of good eating for me, but I’d be missing the bit if I didn’t say the crab taco at Holbox. Other contenders are probably the kinda insane sesame tofu dish at Jiki Miyazawa in Kyoto and maybe the chirimen sansho at Kiyama, and how about the slip sole in espelette butter at the Sportsman in Seasalter.

Worst dish: By no means a worst dish, because the food was pretty decent, but when in London, I somehow fell into the Dishoom hype-trap–waited literally 90 minutes for a table–and had a meal that paled in comparison to what I’d had at Hoppers for lunch that same day.

5 Likes