Best Bet Pizza -Plywood report

Should be coming soon! It’s mostly fenced off but I managed to sneak past the fence to get a shot of the old A Frame spot

6 Likes

I thought this was going to be a report about a disasterous crust.

6 Likes

Opens 25 July. Reservations open now. The menu is hardly legible unless zoomed-in like 300%.

1 Like

Slightly clearer menu without the headings (I’m baffled by some of the pricing, but what do I know?):

that font is criminal.

7 Likes

horrible font and bad typography

3 Likes

brutal menu. $25 for a margarita pizza with dough batch-prepared in a commissary is :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:. Westside stays losing.

2 Likes

$25 margarita :-1:

I don’t think you should drag them for dough made in a commissary. If they were making it in the restaurant, they would necessarily need to make batches too. The dough probably doesn’t care where it’s made as long as they’re using good ingredients, appropriate recipe, and good process. Especially if you don’t have the room to do it onsite, the kitchen in that A-frame is … not big. You need a fair amount of space for the mixers, ingredients, and storage for rising/proofing. My assumption is they get the dough balls from the commissary and are doing everything else in house to order. Could still end up being bad pizza, and it would have to be very good to justify the price.

3 Likes

‘The proof of the pudding is in the tasting’ and all that. I’m general Neroni has delivered on quality and creativity where ever he’s been and prices don’t seem out of whack if you are comparing to Pizzeria Sei where i spent 60something for a salad, glass of wine and a pizza

Sei is $20 for a margherita and one of the best pizzas in LA. Pizzeria Bianco is $24. So you should rightly expect it to be among the best if you’re gonna pay those prices.

I just find the whole proposed price structure baffling, even setting aside the pizzas… for instance, I just can’t get my head around the garlic knot with garlic sauce and hot honey dips costing $2 more than a fritto misto of oysters, clams, and tuna belly.

1 Like

I just had this delicious margherita pizza in Biarritz France it cost 10 euros. They supposedly import all their base items from Italy, I know it’s different than shipping to America but just to point out the quality.

I don’t get why food and drinks are so much more affordable in Europe. Time to move!

5 Likes

Really looking forward to our business-types here pontificating on this…I’ll start with some (completely uninformed culprits): rent, legal/administrative hassles, insurance…and then having the thread split by @robert

7 Likes

You definitely don’t need to spend a lot to drink good wine in France

1 Like

That’s for sure I was getting tasty bottles of wine in Spain and France for between 18-35 euros.

1 Like

Lots of great Spanish wine out there especially in some of the older wine growing areas

2 Likes

Are you being a menace, cb? :wink:

2 Likes

That would be chowdennis

2 Likes

Very different build up of the society, influence of politics etc. Why is nobody dying in Europe because they can’t afford a medicine/drug or “maxed out” their health insurance coverage etc ?

3 Likes

It is that (reduces direct overhead for businesses), and also I believe wages are generally lower in many parts of Europe which also helps on the cost side. Certainly in Spain and Portugal. Alongside this affordability must be better so people can afford to dine there. Plus anyone from the US who can afford to travel to Europe for a vacation likely has a higher salary and is more likely to come from a higher cost of living location like a big city. That makes the contrast even more visible. If we go to certain parts of the US we’d also similarly be shocked at how affordable food and drink is. On the wine side of things, I believe there’s a big cultural component where people from all walks of life drink wine and expect it to be affordable with good quality so they aren’t willing to tolerate higher markups.

6 Likes