Best Pizza by the Slice?

My 2 cents: Joe’s is still the best NY slice in SoCal.

2 Likes

Counterpoint - I love their Sicilian and hate pizza wagons. Ymmv :joy:

1 Like

I went to Joe’s in SM a few years ago, and the pizza paled in comparison to my memory of the OG Joe’s on Bleecker St. Part of the reason was that the slices had been sitting out for a while and were reheated (vs the fresh hot slices I remember getting late at night in NYC).

Has the quality (maybe higher turnover) improved, or are you ordering whole pizzas only, where the freshness maybe isn’t an issue?

1 Like

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have had more dry overcooked (hard crunchy) slices there. Recently I started only going for slices during peak hours (Well actually haven’t since Covid) to get slices from from fresh pies.

I much prefer the whole pies… so much better.

1 Like

That’s ok!! Different strokes, right?

If I could have Prime’s toppings and prep on Pizza Wagons Sicilian crust I’d be very happy.

1 Like

Ordering whole pies, enjoying it piping hot. Totally different ballgame. Joe’s SM may not approach the divine stuff you’d get in NYC, but hey it’s pretty great.

1 Like

Looks like I need to get me a whole pie soon. Thanks!

2 Likes

LAist sided with @Gr8pimpin :wink:

3 Likes

Is this what the kids call “Street cred “ ??

:rofl:

Good article! Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

What do you guys think of this?

5 Likes

Have you ever ordered with extra pepperoni? I’ve had great slices at Prime in Japantown but agree with the scant amount of pepperoni. My kids love their garlic knots.

I’d still take Superfine in its prime over Prime or Pizza Wagon but it’s splitting hairs. All of them are great and happy to have them all.

3 Likes

Been following this on his IG stories. Repugnant. I will stick to Prime’s square pies.

7 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

Fuck them. Glad I didn’t try it. Thx for posting.

5 Likes

good riddance

12 Likes

As an Asian, I will never step foot in Prince St. I’m glad I never went. I have my own pizza oven anyways.

12 Likes

Wow, interesting…I loved Joes in SM when they opened probably 15 years ago…ive felt they declined significantly but maybe I should pop back in…Vito’s on SM Blvd near cloverfield is/was right up there…and def agree with Gr8pimpin re the general sparseness of the pepperoni on Prime pizza

field

1 Like

yeah, that was a real disappointment to read about the racist attitudes of the owners…

1 Like

Hey Gr8pimpin and the rest of the pizza fanatics here…just tried an interesting new pizzeria in Westwood, Prince of Venice, on Broxton near Kinross. it’s Roman-style al taglio with slices pre-cut and $5 per slice…Potato, pepperoni, Margherita(but no basil), veggie, meat lovers(to much meat for my taste, including chicken, which I don’t want on my pizza). I tried the pepperoni and the potato…both were very good but I feel the crust is too thick for pizza Romana, it’s actually more the thickness of a Sicilian slice…on the positive side, the crust was fairly airy, not really dense at all…I asked to make it hot and that gave it a perfect crispness…the pepperoni were not the little cups but bigger flat slices that gave good coverage to the slice…very tasty but not the pepperoni we’ve grown accustomed to…the potato slice was tasty but maybe could’ve used a bit of salt, and thats not something I would normally think necessary…anyway, they’ve Benn open a little more than a month…the $5 slice is fairly big and they sliced in half diagonally, which is a good idea…I have a half slice each that I brought home…im pretty sure they will reheat well…Oh, by the way they serve quite a few pastas that look quite good, a couple salads and desserts, including gelato…id say overall, an excellent addition to a neighborhood that until now lacked good pizza. wonder why I don’t see the upload photo icon…oh well

4 Likes

While I enjoyed my pasta at Prince of Venice back when they first opened, I wasn’t sure what Venetian-style pizza would look/taste like. The slices here reminded me of Sicilian-style. Or the pizza from the elementary school cafeteria.

1 Like