Best sushi on a budget?

Yeah, I was in Vegas for a trade show and a supplier took a bunch of people from my company to Red Square and ordered like 6 oz of golden ossetra caviar. I think a few people took a tiny taste of it so I basically ate 6 oz by myself, partially so it wouldn’t go to waste.

3 Likes

Should’ve had him order the astrea instead!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/farm-boy-sherman-oaksV is the way to go.

In all honesty I won’t. I live within five miles of sushi row on Ventura Blvd. I can make a great Dutch baby easily. So if I am ever again in Lemont I will order a Dutch baby. Here I will get sushi, although my wife - certainly not a “provincial” - will order tempura as she hates raw fish. People are who they are.

1 Like

A tad closer than Lemont is CiCi’s Cafe on Ventura in Tarzana.

Well, the potential for bloating and diarrhea is…

But, more seriously, as someone who is Chinese and grew up in a predominantly Chinese/Chinese-American community, I agree that many Chinese people absolutely think there is good and bad food.

From our @chandavkl: https://www.menuism.com/blog/the-chinese-stomach/

2 Likes

@chandavkl is it hard to find a Chinese restaurant between LA and Las Vegas?

No. Go to Barstow. There’s a Taiwanese noodle shop called 8 Ate (a play on words, or rather numbers since 88 is a lucky Chinese number). It’s in a small food court and there’s sometimes other Chinese food options there. Historically there were Chinese buffets in Barstow servicing the Chinese tourist buses running between LA and Vegas. Which particular buffet shifted as tour companies made deals with different restaurants. With the pandemic cutting off tourism from Mainland China, while there are still buses traversing LA to Vegas with domestic Chinese passengers, I’m not sure if there is a Chinese buffet currently servicing this segment.

6 Likes

As a follow-up to my original article, I have subsequently visited Hungary twice and ate some Chinese food both times. However this was more out of curiosity, though I have to admit there was an element of comfort after the meal.

1 Like

Went to 8 Ate a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not destination worthy, but a good choice when you’re not in the mood for the usual road food.
The beef noodles were decent, good Q, soup hit the right notes, beef a little tough. I enjoyed the pork chop rice, proper bone-in cut with the usual accompaniments (braised pork rice, soy sauce egg, pickled daikon, and cole slaw was an unusual, but welcome addition.) and my daughter liked the tempura udon. I’m sure the other dishes would have been perfectly serviceable as well.

Anything in Pasadena? I’m going to be in the area more frequently in the next couple of weeks. Looking for someplace nice but casual, not super high-end and hard to get a resy. Thanks.

Osawa

4 Likes

kinda close by to Pasadena is Sushi Kisen you can do A la Carte

5 Likes

Thanks @J_L & @Hungrydrunk!

2 Likes

Kisen has saba bouzushi!

2 Likes

In this line, Osawa’s saba battera is historic. The specials menu is still the key.

4 Likes

Damn I need to try that too

Bang bang I guess.

Have you had it?

I miss JGold and Tony Bourdain.

2 Likes

If you want to eat a lot of sushi for decent quality (for an AYCE) I’d recommend Sake2Me on Newport Avenue. $32.99 Mon-Thur Lunch that includes premium items (1 Toro piece, Yellowtail Belly, Salmon Belly, Large Scallop)

1 Like
3 Likes

Sorry to just be reporting! A few offerings might be out-of-season now. But I want to a give a shoutout for the rec @J_L. Osawa is definitely worth reporting on. We didn’t exactly go budget but budget can be done. Prices are very good for the offerings and the sourcing.

Kubota Manju Junmai Daiginjo

Shokado Bento

Now that’s a bento box. #teamshokado. :hearts:

Sushi Deluxe Set (10pcs) - Tai, Toro, Scallop, Ebi, Ikura, Sawara (mackerel), Amberjack, Salmon Belly, Hamachi Belly, Akami

I still get the whities mixed-up sometimes, but I’m much improved at neta identification, Professor.

Shari Shot

Extras…

Kohada :hearts:

Wish I’d seen @PorkyBelly’s post about the battera. It wasn’t on the menu but I certainly would’ve inquired.

Fried Live Sawagani

Oh lord, don’t look at me like that!

J Gold wrote that he liked to order things on a menu he wasn’t familiar with. Well. They’re a little meaty, mostly crunchy, crispy legs from frying, finishing with lemon & salt added a little something. Okay, I ate that.

There’s more to Osawa than nigiri, sashimi & doomed little crabs…

The FOH, server, and itamae were welcoming and full of good humor. Osawa goes on the list of the type of place I’d like to see in my ‘hood. :hearts:

P.S. Thanks for the Sushi Kisen rec @Hungrydrunk. We needed someplace close to Huntington Hospital and Osawa fit the bill. Keeping Kisen is on the list. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes