Ended up at a CAVA this weekend whilst running holiday errands and casual meet-ups with folks.
It really is a Mediterranean Chipotle. Pick your bowl/pita and then move along the assembly line following the options available.
There are more options than Chipotle and the price point is essentially the same:
- 7-8 grains and salad base options (including a commercially made pita)
- 6 dips (this was a little confusing since they place it on top of the grains/salad and have dressing/sauces at the end)
- 8 proteins to choose from
- 9-12 toppings (avocado is extra)
- 7 sauces or dressings to finish the bowl/pita with
The combinations are really limitless.
Grabbed a bowl with the following:
- Base: super greens, saffron basmati, lentils
- Dips: tzatziki, spicy feta, eggplant
- Protein: harissa honey chicken, braised lamb
- Toppings: pickled onions, roasted corn, tomato-cucumber, tomato-onion, pickled cucumbers, feta
- Sauce/Dressings: vegan garlic sauce & lemon-dill vinaigrette
I have to say, it was pretty hefty and there were a lot of flavors. The chowpup I had with with me said he would prefer CAVA over Chipotle.
I think I may have been too overwhelmed by the volume of options available.
They also have “chef-curated” pre-set items for folks who don’t want to build their own. But from what I could tell, it’s so complicated for this new store that the employees haven’t memorized what’s in them so folks usually end up with a build your own option anyway.
It was interesting to say the least.