Changes in the LA Times Food Section

Only Max Shapiro thought he didn’t, and criticizing the list at Napa Rose probably isn’t going to change his opinion.

Napa rose has a pretty good wine list, better than the vast majority of restaurants in Los Angeles. It used to be better, but even in its current state it’s still good. I have drank some stunning wines off that list. Unless you want natty hipster wine, none to be found.

2 Likes

I think Jenn Harris’s columns with short reviews of a few places have become more useful than Addison’s longer one-place ones.

2 Likes

wasn’t impressed with heng heng.

1 Like

I used to follow Jenn Harris on instagram but her food shout-outs seem to be so hype focused and influencery so I unfollowed her.

Are her reviews in a similar vein?

5 Likes

Depends on whether the places she’s recommending are as good as she says.

This is the only other report I find here for Heng Heng:

I don’t find any reports so far on Bar Monette.

Heng Heng is very strong, imho. As good a chicken rice as you can get in “LA city” proper (not counting the SGV.

2 Likes

Heng Heng seems all over the board from @PorkyBelly’s meh to @J_L’s quite decent to @caleb/s very strong to LAT clickbait headline.

wonder if this has something to do with early growing pains.

2 Likes

She does a best things I ate this week on Instagram that’s pretty good. Usually 3-5 places with pics and descriptions of specific dishes. I believe she posts this on Mondays. She does not post that often which I prefer.

5 Likes

Hardly. Search finds only that one report from J_L until this thread today.

I enjoy her IG weekly posts: clearly some of the joints are “hype focused…influencery” but some are just where she goes with her relatives. Hype and influence are kind of her job.

I get the feeling Addison isn’t going to be around LAT much longer. This is based on no intel whatsoever. Just that his passion and output for discovering and reporting on the LA scene seems to be waning

6 Likes

Addison’s been quite enthusiastic about some of the places he’s written about recently. Likely wasn’t his choice to write about Napa Rose since that was part of a big multi-department Disneyland package (probably the idea of the ad sales department or whatever the digital version of that is).

I suspect with his seniority he gets a lot of vacation time and took a bunch before he started digging in for the long slog to the next 101.

1 Like

They’ve just dropped a number of articles on LA Sushi - in the Business section - by Daniel Miller.

This page has links to the pieces:

Some of these are for subscribers only at this point.

In the Food section they’re also covering sushi. This is the round-up of the articles (LA Dreams of Sushi):

And these are the individual pieces:

4 Likes

Wow! Interesting, look forward to checking these out

1 Like

I’m slowly working my way through them; definitely enjoying the history.

There’s also this one:

Yes, I included that link. These are interesting articles; I am learning a good bit.

14 posts were split to a new topic: What kinds of tuna do sushi bars serve and where do they come from?

Another reason Addision might have been scarce for a while: he was in Japan.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Addison: “What makes L.A.’s sushi scene so great? I found answers in Tokyo”