Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Dare we ask you what places you like better in LA??? :slight_smile:

“What exactly is Pittsburgh-style pizza? To hear chef Benjamin Osher describe it, it’s basically a state of mind: ‘Pittsburgh-style pizza, to me, it channels the ethos of a blue-collar life, about not being dainty. It’s over the top. Lots of ingredients, not a lot of rules.’”

Via:

And the first paragraph of that article you linked:
“As much as people try to wedge a definition for ‘Pittsburgh pizza,’ the truth of it is that we don’t have a signature city style.“

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

To be honest, my gf and I don’t eat out a ton, and when we do, it’s for things that I can’t make at home. We tend to have a freezer stock of frozen pizzas I’ve made :crazy_face: :call_me_hand:

It also doesn’t help that my area of the Valley (Canoga/Woodland/West Hills) doesn’t have any good pizza spots, and we are far away from many of the spots that do look like they have good pizza. That being said, from what I have tried, I really liked 786 degrees, Oste, and South End. Triple beam was sometimes good, and sometimes not, the handful of times I tried it. I also had slices at Pizzanista a few years back, and thought it was solid, but I don’t know if it’s still good. Have tried a few other places that I won’t name that were not good. A lot of the subpar places just lack a good crust.

22 Likes

#FreezerGoals

4 Likes

I need that freezer at my house.

3 Likes

Will second the Gorilla Pies recommendation. Went yesterday and got the Date Night meal. Salad, wings, and a pizza for $50 to share was well worth it. The wings were really good, a nice contrast of crispy and saucy, and the homemade ranch was a perfect complement. The pizzas we tried, a full reuben and a slice of the Abloh, were both tasty. I really liked the addition of the caraway seeds to the crust of the reuben. The dough has a nice taste and is well developed, and the leftover slices reheated well and made a nice breakfast snack this morning :smile:

However, one thing that was frustrating was the burned flour dust on the bottom of the pizzas. Sweep that oven floor more frequently please…my hands were turning black while eating my slices! Also, and this is more of a personal preference since I know a lot of people would disagree, I don’t need a large poofy cornicione. Yes, the dough is tasty and good enough to eat on its own, but I want pizza. Give me toppings!!

14 Likes

THIS^^^^^^^

4 Likes

I like Gorilla Pies, but still prefer Pizza Wagon for its simplicity and sauce which is amazing. They’re definitely different beasts though.

1 Like

Agree.

Must say that @Helper_Monkey’s words are not as fighting as I had first thought (after trying Gorilla Pies this weekend for the first time):

They only had 2 types of slices available when we went (on a Sunday, I think): The Kitten and The Basic Benny. Partner was actually not sure which place (Gorilla vs. Pizza Wagon) he preferred. If you want a more complex pie (esp sauce wise), Gorilla for sure. Gorilla unquestionably has the better crust (I don’t particularly like the crust alone from Pizza Wagon).

But I think Pizza Wagon is also more than the sum of its parts and that there is something just “right” when you take a bite of everything.

I’m glad to have both options.

4 Likes

Pizzana is coming to Sherman Oaks?

And also a nugget…” the recently-opened Uncle Paulie’s in Studio City” I was wondering when they’d open.

5 Likes

My sister is super happy, she can walk there and already has reservations

2 Likes

Prime Burbank. 9/10 would buy again. $11 for 2 slices and a drink :frowning:

11 Likes

Tried it yesterday, kinda felt the same. Dough was bit too crunchy, strayed too far from slight bready texture type chew.

3 Likes

To each his own. I know several people that don’t like Pizza Wagon nor Prime nor Grimaldi’s nor anything New York-style. I really do not like to associate with them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But those are (RIP Grimaldi’s) my personal favorites.

Agree with @paranoidgarliclover, the sum is greater than the parts.

Hey, but many people here love Neapolitan, I can’t stand it. Thank God we have more than one place to choose from and that the pizza game in this city is light years ahead of where it was even 10 years ago.

The thing about Pizza Wagon that I PERSONALLY would like them to change is i wish they would develop their dough a little more, and make it slightly thinner the way they used to when they first opened. BTW, Anthony definitely makes a better pie than his employees.

2 Likes

Roca expanding to the Pacific Palisades

1 Like

Two Doughs opened a b & m in Agoura.

Any intel?

yep, shared a great pie there a while ago! I def need to go back!

is that still true, Gr8pimpin? have you asked Anthony or any other pie maker to make sure it’s thin?

it’s all about the crust! what does it take to source quality toppings?

yes, Gorilla Pies was legit…ive gotta get back there