Chi SPACCA

Uh oh! :drooling_face: I wonder if the chicken has a squidgy bottom.

1 Like

They’re horrible…

Lamb Shepherd’s Pie

See the black ring around the edge? It’s burnt char. I only had a bite of the topping. It was dry, so salty and my husband said the filling was stringy with no gravy.

Vegetable Pot Pie

Not a bad top crust but the filling was over-cooked, gloppy, with a lot of cheese, a couple of potatoes pieces, no discernible vegetables, no gravy and had that inexplicable “squidgy bottom” that Chef Nancy insists on including. We loved the Bone Marrow Pie we had at the restaurant. But this was one of the worst pot pies I’ve ever had.

I hate doing bad reports and am a person who can find something good in just about anything. But Chi SPACCA is not a struggling mom & pop trying to hold onto workers and keep their doors open. They know better and do not get a pass for this expensive disaster!

13 Likes

Yikes. That black burnt burst looks abhorrent. I hope you get some type of credit or gift card. That looks completely inedible.

4 Likes

Yah, I hope so too. This was not a case of things being just a little off which is understandable during this time. Gross.

2 Likes

thanks for the warning, that lamb pie looks inedible. I was going to try them this weekend but not anymore. hope they make it right for you.

3 Likes

Yeah, I love Chi SPACCA, but I don’t think pot pies are their thing, lol. Remember we both reported problems (not as bad) w/the chicken pot pie when dining-in. Weird because the bone marrow pie is perfection… or at least it was.

2 Likes

I went to chi Spacca in March prior to COVID shutdowns and it was not good, so it is fair to say they have had issues prior to this. The chef should be ashamed of themselves for even serving that.

2 Likes

Why would they serve that? That should have never left the kitchen

5 Likes

Update: Chi SPACCA gave us a refund. That was nice.

7 Likes

Good on them for making it right, but still no excuse for letting something like that leave the kitchen.

2 Likes

Chi SPACCA is so overrated. They think if they just load everything up with enough salt and fat, you’ll love it. Hard pass.

Chi spacca still playing all the hits. Indoor dining is nicely spaced out. If you get rezzies and are comfortable I would recommend sitting inside. Not sure about the mosquito situation but the noise on melrose causes dining to be not very enjoyable.

Culatello (I believe) with fennel pollen. Thinly shaved and melts in your mouth. Great way to whet the appetite.

Little gem salad bacon and avocado are highly played out but also this dressing is delicious. Favorite salad on the menu

Ensalata primavera. Shaved fennel and crispy artichokes with dill highly acidic and refreshing but a bit plain. Least favorite dish of the night. But I would say the lightness is a good thing because of the heaviness of most of the spacca menu.

Chicken pot pie. We opted to go for a “lighter “ pot pie as I find the bone marrow pie to be a bit heavy esp if you order other meats. Flaky buttery crust, the chicken and carrots are a perfect texture. Plus the steamed pea shoots with morels were so buttery.

Moorish lamb chop grilled and simply prepared but nonetheless delicious. Great yogurt sauce to cut the char and richness.

Double dessert because why not.

Unlike some restaurants mozzaplex has not missed a beat during pandemic or post pandemic. Still one of the best protein forward restaurants in LA.

16 Likes

The sidewalk tables have a lot of traffic noise, but the “piazza” doesn’t.

Is the bone marrow pie no longer on the menu?? I don’t see it on their online menu.

Have reservations for tomorrow night. Any new must get items?

They tend to switch it up from time to time but bone marrow pie always comes back afterwards.

has anybody tried the saturday only burgers?

I had one during a prior iteration several months ago. Very good burger but cooked very much on the rare side. And, at least back then, you could not specify a different degree of doneness.

1 Like

No downhill alert here. Another standout dinner last night. The only miss was the butter lettuce salad. Too acidic and not balanced.

Boy was I happy to see this on the menu

13 Likes

I love those last two dishes so much. I don’t think we’ve ever gone there without ordering both… We always save the tomahawk bones for a snack leftover meal later in the week.

2 Likes

Yeah this was my first time trying the bone marrow pie and really loved it. I can’t imagine going back here and not ordering it. The porkchop is a must order as well.