Column: How did a Thai restaurant become beloved by Mexican and Central

It’s stories like this that drive my love for LA

6 Likes

Not a single previous post about it on this board.

Not surprising… When they started talking about the soup… I knew exactly what to expect… giant portions, quick and quality. It’s kinda like how the Chinese Place in GCM does killer business… all on it’s seafood noodle soup. It’s super tasty… HUGE. But nothing super refined or all that special. Over by me, there is this Teriyaki Place…

I go there for a quick lunch, it’s all fresh made and super tasty. Again, nothing I would ever post here. And everytime I go there, there is two or three older Latino folks hunched over with a bowl of their Shrimp Ramen Soup (Literally a block of Shin Ramen with six to eight shrimps in it), it’s like $6… You can’t even get a Big Mac meal for that price…

An sometimes it’s not always about price either. There is a teppanyaki wave hitting So. L.A. On Vernon there is a B&M and Truck fighting it out over the big portions and lobster loving crowds down here…

Subcultures like this have always flown under the radar of even places like Chowhound… It’s more of IYKYK thing…

10 Likes

hibachi so hot right now

there’s also Hibachi Papi in Westwood, and a Teppanyaki Supreme truck in Sherman Oaks near Shin/Anajak

3 Likes

OMG. There are full on Teppanyaki caters doing Quinces and Baby Showers right now… whole rig!!!

8 Likes

Why u holdin out on us?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

we just had an event that did that. they set up everything and cooked right in front of you. It’s definitely hot right now but not cheap…starting $60 pp and up. Super convenient though and fun for small group.

7 Likes

The same reason people have never posted about Ocha classic although I’ve driven past it COUNTLESS of times… It’s literally down the street from Issan Station which has much better Thai food. And not that far from Thai town at all. But just because we feel no problem going into Issan Station or Pa Ord… doesn’t mean that is the same for everyone, especially in the area that Ocha has flourished. The article isn’t about the AMAZING food there. Instead it’s about the efforts made to serve EXACTLY the needs of the community and the success that brings. I can personally speak to this… comfort adds to deliciousness.

–Dommy!

8 Likes

Did not know about that. Will be trying it soon. :slight_smile:

Back to the topic… I found this really moving:

Porsawatdee says the relationship between Ocha Classic and its customers really began after the Los Angeles riots in 1992.

When the looters came, homeless people stood in front of the windows to block bricks and bottles. People from the neighborhood helped stand watch and argued with protesters. It was the only building on the block that didn’t burn down, Porsawatdee said.

It seemed like their way to say thank you, Porsawatdee said. The restaurant has always fed homeless people and hungry locals with its leftovers, even after reprimands from city officials.

7 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

So straightforward: “barato y sabroso.”

2 Likes

I actually live a couple of blocks (walking distance) from this restaurant— there’s always a huge line and a jam of cars trying to get into the parking lot that back up traffic down 3rd street during peak hours.

After finding out that the flavor profiles tend to lean toward what the non-thai people in the neighborhood favor, I decided to pass and just go to Thai Town when I want Thai food (still need to go to Issan Station as it’s SO close).

Neighbors in my building eat at Ocha and love it, but I’ve tried Thai BBQ across the street (completely horrible, but is also crowded at all times) and decided to pass. BUT, I’m glad they are successful, lots of people love to eat there and that they are part of this community.

5 Likes

oh damn

3 Likes