Costco finds

1 Like

I’m a happy camper. I called Costco and one of their stores reasonably near me has the whitefish. Whitefish salad and just as is are in my dreams right now.

2 Likes

WHAT???

I have to called see if maybe Burbank has that at that price, or if I need to make the drive. Wow!

1 Like

Slice of corn rye bread (or rye bagel) Sweet butter. Flakes of the fish. Fresh ground pepper on top. Yum!

3 Likes

I just cut it into portions and alternate bites with a bagel with cream cheese. Can’t do it with my favorite bagel though: salt bagel LOL.

I know lots of folks that do whitefish like lox… on a bagel with cream cheese and tomato.

@robert Rascal House had some great whitefish salad. Good find.

I used to like New York Bagel on San Vicente in Brentwood. Bagels aren’t as good as they used to be but I used to go regularly for the whitefish salad. Nicely flaked, not whipped up.

3 Likes

I tried this recently, turned out quite nice. Smoked trout, finely diced sweet onions and a dollop of cream cheese. Combine ingredients and mix well; spread over bagel. Tasted like deli bought whitefish salad.

3 Likes

Mmmmmmmm:yum:

Anyone ever buy one of these hams? Got any tips?

Slice thin. Eat with or without bread. Do you have a ham knife?

how am I supposed to store this if I can’t eat it in one seating, or within a few days?

It’s my understanding that an uncut ham should be able last for about a year at room temperature and three months or so if you properly cover the cut area. Those are just VERY broad recommendations though so if you’re actually serious about it I’d recommend calling into Cooking Issues tomorrow and asking- Dave Arnold is a ham fiend (although mostly for American country ham).

One thing I do know- don’t freeze it. The fat will oxidize even faster in a freezer environment which effects the flavor.

1 Like

D’Artagnan says to wrap in plastic and refrigerate. I’m not sure why boneless hams are not safe at room temperature.

3 Likes

@Ns1 I found a different site stating following: “In addition, it is recommended to hang the Spanish ham from the hoof in a cool and dry place with a temperature between 10 and 18 degrees Celsius. [50-64.4 Fahrenheit] These conditions are usually found in cellars and pantries. However, some people choose to cover it directly on a jamonero (ham holder).

Which ever way you decide to do this, it is of utmost importance to never cover with plastic wrap as the Spanish ham will sweat and will ruin it’s flavor. Every time there is a time gap between trimming slices of ham, you must remove the top superficial part as it will harden and its taste will be bitter.”

Source: How to Preserve and Store Iberico Ham | Jamonprive.us

If I still lived in San Francisco, I could store the ham in my pantry without any problem, but not so in SoCal where my room temp averages 70 degrees or so.

My fridge is too small to keep it there unless I dedicate 30% of it to the ham! :frowning_face:

1 Like

Evidently the secret to these bibigo wontons is utilizing an authentic Asian dipping sauce, eg. Soy / vinegar / chili oil.

3 Likes

So do you MW them, steam, what? I’ve seen them and if you recommend we’ll pick up a bag.

1 Like

I too adore those wontons!

We cook them like potstickers and serve with a dipping sauce like yours or? (And tis the season) they are perfect when added to a bowl of home made turkey soup - satisfying but not heavy.

2 Likes

Per the instructions fry using a non stick pan. I add a little water at the beginning + use a lid for some mild steam action and then pan fry to desired texture. Add sauce to bowl and eat like chili wontons.

For the price of $6 for a giant bag or w/e kinda hard to beat and makes a quick easy snack.

2 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

COSTCO Sepulveda in Van Nuys

2 Likes