Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking

It didn’t taste like dill more like an amped up parsley

Bolted cilantro?

2 Likes

OT: Today may feel like any other day, but as a Jew, my internal lox and bagel clock knows it’s Sunday.

6 Likes

The Playground in Santa Ana has been making their own bagels and selling lox kits with all the accoutrements. We’ve been eyeing them on their IG stories but haven’t been yet. Just decided I’m going next weekend. Looks great.

4 Likes

Looks like carrot greens with a few flowers.

3 Likes

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

… the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports. Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant.

… the toilet paper made for the commercial market is a fundamentally different product from the toilet paper you buy in the store. It comes in huge rolls, too big to fit on most home dispensers. The paper itself is thinner and more utilitarian. It comes individually wrapped and is shipped on huge pallets, rather than in brightly branded packs of six or 12. “Not only is it not the same product, but it often doesn’t come from the same mills,” added Jim Luke, a professor of economics at Lansing Community College, who once worked as head of planning for a wholesale paper distributor. “So for instance, Procter & Gamble [which owns Charmin] is huge in the retail consumer market. But it doesn’t play in the institutional market at all.”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E63FTM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8PIGPW

1 Like

flowering cilantro or coriander?

1 Like

Email the farm and ask?

1 Like

I thought about that but I feel bad bothering them with a question like that at a time like this.

They’re probably dealing with a whole host of issues and the last thing they need is some random person asking “hey what’s this?”, so I figured I’d crowdsource at the good ole food message board.

The whole point of CSAs is to link farms with their customers. I expect they’re happy to answer simple questions as a break from more tedious office tasks such as billing and the like.

They don’t send you an email saying what’s coming in your box?

1 Like

Nope I just got an order saying your box is ready for pick up at so and so location at x time.

1 Like

Huh. Every week ours sends out an email newsletter with, among other things, something like this:

This Week’s Box Contains:

Asparagus, Mandarines, Arugula -or- Mizuna, Broccoli Raab -or- Karinata Kale, Leeks, Lettuce and Tokyo Turnips

Veggie Notes

Asparagus: We are all very excited when asparagus starts in the early spring. We had some very cold frosts last week and lost a lot of the crop, but it is coming back and we think there will be a lot of it this week as the weather warms up.

Mandarines: Gold Nugget mandarines from our neighbors at Gold Oak Ranch

Arugula, Mizuna or Karinata Kale: Which one you get will be a surprise — you will get one or the other of these greens. The Arugula and Mizuna can be eaten raw as part of a salad, or gently steamed and seasoned as a side dish. The Karinata Kale is a deep purple flat-leafed kale, a very unusual variety.

Broccoli Raab: At this time of year there will be many greens in your CSA box. These leafy greens are packed with nutrients. They will cook down considerably — One bunch may only be enough for 2 or 3 people as a side dish. After steaming it, add some olive oil and seasonings.

Leeks: Did you know that our web site features a collection of recipe ideas for most of the items that we put in your CSA box? Here are some ideas for leeks.

Lettuce

Tokyo Turnips: A lovely turnip variety that is so mild people often slice it thin and eat it raw with their salad. The greens are edible, tender and delicious with no bitterness. This is two vegetables in one — Turnip greens are very high in calcium, vitamin A, phosphorus and magnesium.

1 Like

Nice looks like a good spread. I ordered from County Line and all they have is location and pick up time plus order confirmation in my email.

Which I kind of enjoy as it will be a surprise.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Has anybody been to marukai or nijiya recently? What’s the rice situation like?

I don’t think there’s a shortage, when we went there was a lot of 15 lb bags of rice , from Nishiki to the more expensive ones, limit 2 per person. This was about 2 weeks ago at the Little Tokyo location (Marukai/Tokyo Central)

2 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else but I live in a great middle-class neighborhood. We have many friends on the block - I have met most of them from walking the dog. Several of us have started swapping breads, desserts, and dinners - all within a safe social distancing radius (which can I honestly say I hate! We have a three year-old two doors down who gives incredible hugs, and now we can’t do that). In these turbulent times having a support community is invaluable. My neighbor adds others to his Instacart order. I bake bread for four households. I wish more of us lived closer together! I wish I could cook for you all.

9 Likes

I went to Tokyo Central on Artesia last week and they were well stocked. They had everything from Brown to Haiga to Japanese Import and even Jasmine Rice. Also a full run of Sun Noodles and Meiji Tofu.

3 Likes

I live in a diverse working class neighborhood just outside of DTLA and am happy to report the same thing. We have a neighborhood text tree (The older neighbors don’t facebook or email… but everyone has a cell phone… thanks Obama! ;)) and every week or so check on everyone. We have coolers on our porches for drop off. Venmo for pay backs. Lots of notices of cuttings for gardens or cooking…

8 Likes

Note that some of the links are run together. Lots of interesting sources that are new to me.

2 Likes