Dear John's - Fantastic Evening

Had dinner at Dear John’s last week. It was my fourth visit and each time it has been wonderful. This time it got off to an alarming start. I was hosting a group of four. Actually, paying off an overdue Super Bowl bet - fuckin Rams!. Anyway, I think I must have messed up the reservation date because it wasn’t in their system and I could not find my confirmation. The hostess (Tanya) could not have been better or more gracious. Although they were fully packed and booked for the night, there were four seats at the corner of the bar and she quickly had them set up for us. The bartender was also great. Funny, made a great drink and very much on top of the menu. The Melisse touch is evident everywhere; what a great combo with Rockenwagner. The place feels and acts like its been there for years (which it has if you dont count the 20 year hiatus). Three of us shared the cesar to start which was huge and perfect for thee. Made table (bar) side it was better than Tana’s and they accommadated our request for extra anchovies. My other friend had the wedge which was also large and said it was the best he ever had. Two of us had the filet and I cant remember a better one. The others had lobster and linguini and clams, respectively, and both raved. As a side we had fries (which were piping hot and well done) and broccolini also very good. The dark room, old school art and overall vibe is great. A shame it has to close in a bit over a year, but it seems so popular, hopefully they will find another location. In the meantime, I plan to be back regularly.

2 Likes

What happened to the post. Was I Kevinized?

Well, it’s got no location information at all, except for the reference to the Rams and Tana’s, which might indicate you’re talking about an LA restaurant. Maybe your post is wandering around looking for a home.