December 2023 Rundown

That Jang Mo I’m thinking of is on Beach in BP/LM. Is that the one you’re thinking of?

Went to Del Mar ostioneria for lunch today. I really enjoyed the tuna ceviche (very similar flavor wise to the contramar tostada.)

Aguachile negro was really good, as were the Baja fish taco . Great tortillas, though the tacos were unusually large.

A quick word of warning that the tamarindo octopus taco was my worst bite of the year. So staggeringly sweet. My friend compares it to biting into a jelly donut. I have no idea how this could be on the menu lol. Also such small amounts of octopus. Disaster.

3 Likes

Garden Grove Blvd behind the plaza but I do know of that location

Villains Brewery in Anaheim where Modern Times used to be. Beer is ok especially considering Monkish is down the street. The food is excellent for a brewery and the outdoor space is very nice. Spacious, lots of TVs, good shade and they’re playing old school rap. Nice place to go watch games and grab food.

Some of the best wings I’ve had in a while. Crispy and crunchy with perfect buffalo sauce. It’s got the right amount of spice and a little vinegar kick.

Everybody who ordered a smash burger enjoyed it. Waffle fries were crispy and much better than Chik Fil A. Only downside is no Heinz ketchup.

Brunch biscuit and tots with gravy were good according to my friends.

Nice brisket nachos with the good gooey nacho cheese. Guac and pickled onions good pairing as always.

No Toto but they have fun murals in the bathroom

10 Likes

Jinsol Gukbap on Orangethorpe near the Source in Buena Park is off the hook. Went there Sunday night at 5:30 and the wait was around 15 mins. Solid line of 8-10 parties the whole time until we left around 6:30.

One of the few places that provide spicy raw marinated crab as banchan. The waitress told us refills cost money but all other banchan refills are free. Seems very reasonable. The kimchi is good and always pairs well with gukbap.

#1 original pork gukbap is the cousin to seollungtang. A little funkier but the same milky broth you season with salt. For pork gukbap you add chives instead of green onions. Very delicious. Nice amount of pork slices. My kids and wife like the cleaner beef bone broth.

LA Galbi is very nicely seasoned and grilled. The marinate is good not too sweet. You get a free bowl of pork broth with your order.

The chive pancake is tasty though it could have been a little crispier.

I’m not sure why they need another location on Beach Blvd in Stanton 10 mins away but they seem very busy. Lot of pick up orders as well.

4 Likes

Oh wow they expanded. Did they have salted baby shrimp to season the soup

1 Like

Yep each table has the salted shrimp. I think most people are using that for the soondae and the porky belly. Slightly different menu than LA and from what I understand different owners. No combos.

2 Likes

They’ve got a location on Beach in Stanton, too.

1 Like

I ate 100 pieces at Sake2Me Sushi at the new Tustin place

11 Likes

I had room for more. Lunch price is $32.99 ($42.15 total). It’s a better value than Sushi Damu.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Respect that eating! How was the quality? Ok?

2 Likes

cajun salmon at sushi sounds terrifying

1 Like

Went to simpang Asia today (no pics), used to be one of our favorite spots pre and during Covid. Haven’t been in a couple years.

The nasi bungkus was downright bad tasted like everything was from a steam table and over cooked except for the rendang which was tough. None of the flavors were distinct all tasted of their yellow coconut curry. On top of that the rice was mushy which is the most important part of any nasi dish!

Will be back to try some other things but this visit def made me a little sad.

2 Likes

Better than Sushi Damu. There are not annoying white lines in the Tuna that’s tough to eat. Scallops tasted better.

Their premium items are delicious despite that they’re in lunch pricing.

2 Likes

Owwwww…that’s a real bummer to read

I assume you went to National/Palms, not the new one @ Lincoln/Venice?

I don’t recall any reviews of the new one. Perhaps the expertise and attention has moved there.

2 Likes

Whoa sorry to hear that. In that Palms area, the nasi goreng at Mee & Greet remains quite good. Cassia (Santa Monica) is decidedly more upscale, but they do beef rendang consistently right.

2 Likes

I’ve been to sushi Damu like two years ago and I did not enjoy it. I enjoyed their rolls for their price, but their fish did not taste fresh. I would rather pay more than have bad cheap sushi. Did you order rolls or mixed it when you went to damu?

Sushi Damu scallops didn’t taste great the last time I went.

I only ate Nigiris. Rolls are way too filling.

I wasn’t stuffed this time and I could’ve eaten more. It’s either each nigiris are larger at Sushi Damu, they use more rice for their Nigiris, or Sake2Me Nigiris aren’t very filling with their rice.

I weighed myself today. at 9 AM and again at 3 PM. I only gained 4 lbs this time instead of 6 lbs last time. Though my scale is a tad inconsistent. This time I didn’t drink the glass of water.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t know they opened a new one until I opened the menu.

I’ll be back to try some of their other dishes been going there too long for one bad meal to throw me off.

I really love the jagger nasi goreng but I’m not sure if I can handle the spice anymore!

Also need to go back to mr sate down the street.