December 2023 Rundown

Ruen Pair. Missed this place so much. Used to be our spot when we lived in LA. Haven’t been to the OG in 15 years. 2.5 blocks away is Orangetheory. My how the neighborhood has changed!

Spectacular. Spicy. Can’t stop eating.

Delicious. More for the kids but always a favorite.

Another hit. Sour and spicy. All the right notes.

Son asked why I can’t cook the pork belly like this.

Very good. Well seasoned and nice break from some of the heat.

20 Likes

Nice choices!

1 Like

yum! their “basics” like the pad se ew are always good

1 Like

:rofl: your chowpup!

1 Like

Pro social media photos do a better job of showing the food than mine. Had an excellent meal at David Kinch’s appearance at BirdieG’s. I think it was my favorite of the 8 nights that I went to. Great black truffle flavor on the scallop, loved the panisse. Texture on the gnocchi was :ok_hand:. Octopus with “gremolata” and a ton of pine nuts was new to me. Dessert was unexpected and delicious, the fiore di latte came frozen with almost a granita texture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C02b4v9vbEs/

13 Likes

U went to all 8? You get a big :trophy:

9 Likes

Wow all 8! I went to Sean Brock’s and Mei Lin/Jon Yao and enjoyed both a lot. And was able to order mostly just the specials and be happy.

5 Likes

Hahahaha my bad, I can see how that was confusing. I went to Sean Brock and Mei Lin/Jon Yao. David Kinch was my favorite of the 3

7 Likes

The $85 octopus entree gave us pause. We subbed Fried Chicken off the normal menu. :laughing:

The rest of the menu was super refined with luxe ingredients. Felt some Manresa energy. Kind of Mentone-plus.

7 Likes

Their pickle chick fried chicken is a high QPR menu item for sure! Octopus was pricey, could have been $70 and easier to swallow. In the grand scheme of things I’m glad I got it vs saving $15 given that I’ve never had his food and may never get out to his restaurants. The short rib from Mei Lin was also quite expensive feeling for what you got. Inflation is no joke.

5 Likes

Not sure I’ve eaten anywhere as crowded or as hectic as Tacos Los Cholos Anaheim on a Saturday night. Not one open seat. 10+ people in the takeout line and order in line. No parking. Dozens of workers cleaning up the salsa station, taking orders and running trays of food. But the pork belly and asada tacos are great. Smokey char grilled goodness and they sure do give a hefty portion. Salsa bar is top notch.

14 Likes

Some Howlin ray’s delivered. It was still very hot when it arrived better than waiting an hour.

Their hot chicken is still the best fried chicken in the city.

s

9 Likes

La parollacia

A neighborhood trattoria type restaurant that focuses on Roman cuisine with some pan Italian offerings. Doesn’t have all the try hardness and bells and whistles of LA Italian restaurants but all the flavors are delicious yet simple. I would imagine that this would not be out of place in some neighborhood in Rome. Favorite dish of the night was rigatoni with truffles.

The pizza was cracker thin and crispy cooked in their wood burning oven very different from neopolitan style or Roman pizza a palla. Reminiscent of ostes pinsa.

If you’re in lbc or within reasonable driving distance definitely worth checking out. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

5 Likes

Unverified Max with a pretty positive Budonoki review, which I think aligns with my impressions. Given the chef’s time at Hayato, it makes sense that his attention to detail and execution is there. That was certainly the case with my visit

3 Likes

I’ll be in the city to pick up tamales from La Flor de Yucatán Sunday (12/24) morning.

Are there any other interesting snacks/things I can pick up while close to DTLA before I head home?

2 Likes

Langer’s and Yang Ga Ne are both closed on Sundays.

mochi and gyozas

1 Like

Some soondae from the food court at the mall at western and Olympic the ajumma is not the friendliest but I’ve heard they sell soondae to a lot of restos in ktown

My favorite Korean Chinese young king!!! Haven’t had this in years kanppongji ftw still as good as ever

6 Likes

1 Like

I’m not Jewish, but I do enjoy the Christmas tradition.

8 Likes