Dry aged steaks - what are your latest go to butchers?

Standings and Gwen

Butchery or Beef Palace are my go-tos, but Butchery for higher-end.

1 Like

At someones behest, I’ve tried crowd cow several times. I’ve gotten their dry aged wagyu and wagyu mix beef. It was pretty good, but not sure it’s worth it. They don’t have interesting cuts like tripe or sweetbreads and their tongue and tail aren’t any better than what I can get locally. Also, it comes frozen and their always trying to push their ground beef on me.

4 Likes

No where good at the farmers market?

both Marcondas and Huntington Meats @ Farmers Market have dry aged beef (they have the drying rooms visible behind the counter)

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the recs. Wanted to do a bang-bang but alas succumbed to Friday afternoon traffic. Ended up just going to Standing’s and got a NY strip.

Was a little sceptical initially, grass fed, very lean virtually no marbling and fairly expensive too at $35.99/lb.

Simply seasoned with sea salt from Guerande and crushed black pepper, accompanied by $0.5 worth of 1/2 a bulb of sweet onion. Seared over cast iron pan and sauteed onions (finished off w aged balsamic modena vinegar) alongside the steak. Rested for 7mins and Voila, dinner!

Very nice piece of meat, nice dry aged funk and pronounced minerally flavors. Fat cooked up into a deep yellow tint characteristic of proper grass fed cows; butter like creamy with grassy undertones. Delish!!!

$24.83 + $0.50 + '01 Monbousquet
#cuzimtoocheaptoeatout

16 Likes

Wait Harvey Guss is closed !?!!?

He actually put off retiring longer than I thought he would

I had never heard of dairy cows being used for beef. Makes sense. Here’s an article about “factory” vs farm raised.

No tripe or sweetbreads is a complete deal breaker.

1 Like

You require getting them all at the same place??? We’ve got local ranchers who sell some of the more ‘esoteric’ cuts to restaurants who will pay more. Is there ‘better’ tripe?

You know the young male cows from dairy cows are not considered fit for breeding and slaughtered for veal . I find it better tasting than the grass or corn fed beef .

Ah, I thought it was the females that had ‘retired.’

The young male bull calves cannot produce milk. And will be . Oh you know

I live minutes away from a fantastic butchershop, A Cut Above and small grocery store, Bob’s Market, that carries a great selection of prime meat. I can get oxtail, tongue, and most any cut of steak, prime or dry-aged, anytime I want. What I can’t get easily is tripe or sweetbreads, so if I have to pay shipping costs from say Crowd cow of dartgnan, I like it to include something I can’t get easily.

I’ve never heard of better tripe, but there is some difference between the stomachs, not that I have any idea of what the taste difference would be.

1 Like

anyone have an opinion on McCall’s? I like it when I go and it’s a whole lot closer/easier than Standing’s, but I’m absolutely unqualified to have a serious opinion on the subject.

McCall’s is fantastic, but their prices are also fantastically astronomical.

1 Like

Quite good. Those are the 2 I go to. Here’s a pic i grabbed once

1 Like

My Bristol farms will often have dry aged ny strips or ribeye. Just pick the funkier looking ones. Or have the butcher pick. Excellent. And fairly reasonable at $25 or so a lb.

1 Like

BF also occassionally has the dry-aged on sale as well.