DS Night Market

Started hearing about this just this month. Article: LA’s New DS Thai Night Market Lights Up Chinatown With Food and Fun - Eater LA

It’s at LAX-C! Stopped by this evening before the rain hit. (I think this would be a tough sell in the rain … not a lot of shelter around (maybe some awnings) and not all vendors gave robust containers, though a lot did)

There could be space for some more vendors as it expands, but already a pretty good variety. A couple vendors overlap with those at the At Siam night market, but also a lot that don’t. Sorry for the pictures in the dark…

Khao soi from Sao Ha Cafe. Really good! Not pictured: fish maw soup. Wish there were some more vendors selling soup, while it’s still a little chilly at night here.

Spicy duck salad. They asked me how spicy I wanted it, I said spicy and accidentally made eye contact with the thai auntie at the giant mortar and pestle. I had some regrets … It was tasty though, with livery bits.

Some desserts from Paula’s catering

I’m not sure they have parking figured out yet … there is street parking in the area, but it’s a little industrial. If you can’t find a street spot, there’s always the large public lot by the metro station: probably better than pay lots that might pop up for this.

Overall I’m excited about this! They say it’s going to happen weekly. Little music setup, etc. It’s lively and a good vibe, with a lot of Thai folks (I presume, from overhearing the language) attending. I do hope they add more seats though: some tables but definitely not a lot. There was some waiting, but not toooo much really, except for the giant fried octopus place all over instagram.

12 Likes

Or you could just take the Metro in. It’s the A Line Chinatown Station. Even if you park at Union Station, it’s just one stop in and likely easier to deal with.

Anyway, thanks for the report!!! I can’t wait to go after a LAFC/ACFC/Dodger game!

3 Likes

Just a quick report back that they’ve since added seating and more tables! Much more comfortable now

Tried the boat noodles from the stand all the way at the end. Really good, though I haven’t been out to Thai Town yet to compare. Rice noodles made in house, can tell a difference.

2 Likes

Went tonight and enjoyed practically everything we ate. Parking was easy to find on Ann, just west of Main. Just a couple of blocks away and a traffic light to help one cross a sometimes busy Main St.

As for the food, we gravitated towards the 8 for $10 chicken and pork skewers. Hot and fresh with no wait was a much better experience than the long lines and wait we had to endure at Wat Thai on Songkran weekend. Would get those again.

The Boat Noodles as mentioned by @theplankt was the best we’ve had since Hoy Ka left Monterey Park. The soup was a well balanced sour, sweet, livery, savory, spicy concoction that came with extra firepower sides of chili sauce, fried shallots, and chili powder to kick things up. Plenty of those fresh noodles, meat, and garnish made for a satisfying bowl. Our medium spicy was just shy of a Thai mild, so just right for us.

Tea leaf salad from the Myanmar Foods booth was good. Crispy pork belly from the booth in the middle was nice. The coconut cream drink was really really good. There was enough seating and tables to hunker down and allow the rest of our group to forage. The Thai (with some non-Thais) rap group tonight was fun to listen to. The Thai desserts were good. There are a few booths offering similar items and I didn’t jot down the names or take a picture to differentiate which one we went to. Most were on the south side by the boat noodle booth. Use your best judgement and enjoy what ever you get. It was an all around good time.

8 Likes

Mango salad with fried fish. So good! Medium spice will burn so good.

The Queen of the DS night market, Mae Ting Coconut Cakes. Piping hot and fresh. The best.

Chive dumplings.

Would say the majority of the stands fall into Isaan, Central/Thai-Chinese, and desserts. There is a northern spot, and Burmese spot. Lots of fun. Good vibes.

10 Likes

I think all of the venders take Zelle fyi

1 Like