Eating meat: threat or menace?

There is infinite water from desalination. The downside is that it could disrupt the blissful lives of some beloved schools of fishes etc.

The California coastal commission crushed the plan to build a desalination plant south of Los Angeles. This is the beginning of the show . The plan was to build a 1.4 billion dollar plant . In Huntington Beach . May 2022

Another article from the New Yorker (not about LA, though. I found it interesting since I had recently visited Scottsdale for the first time this summer):

1 Like

Yeah I know. Eventually either it will rain more or the desalination plants will be built. People are going to choose their livelihoods over a local marine ecosystem.

Nuclear + desalination plants + EVs + reducing meat intake + sending people to Mars will cure our biggest environmental problems. Just need the political courage.

Ammonia, plastic, steel., cement.

Sending people to Mars would involve huge carbon emissions and would have only negative effects on the environment except to the extent some of the billionaires who move there won’t be as effective at fucking up the Earth.

Isn’t change in corporations’ policies going to be vastly more drastic than individual change?
You not eating meat won’t reduce the burning of fossil fuels nearly as much as if the industrial, transportation, electric, and commercial sectors get restructured somehow.

Also, appreciating wagyu but not being able to appreciate any other form of meat is narrow-minded.
That’s like saying you can appreciate pink lady apples or Harry’s Berries, but don’t care for any other apple/strawberry you’ve ever tasted. I think we can all agree/appreciate the best quality or version of something, but that is for sure elitist sounding. Do you only appreciate bugattis and lamborghinis as well?

1 Like

Some European countries have been meeting their climate goals in part by replacing fossil fuels with wood pellets, but they’ve actually been making things worse because pellets are being produced unsustainably, by clear-cutting ancient forests.

2 Likes

The problem with addressing climate change at the national and corporate level is that it requires sacrifice.

What people want is simple things they can do themselves without major changes to their lifestyles: recycling, eating less meat, buying a new car, checking an “offset” box when shopping online, etc.

Us humans are great at inventing ways to do less work and achieving close to instant gratification, but pretty horrible at “sacrificing” things to save our planet and in turn, every living thing on it (including ourselves). What would it take? Summer days of 140 degree heat for politicians to create laws for corporations?

1 Like
1 Like

How much will those trillions of dollars be worth if the planet becomes uninhabitable…

As Teddy Kennedy said, we’ll drive off that bridge when we come to it.

2 Likes

Manzke’s website says they do not accommodate vegan diets. info - manzke restaurant

We did, however, persuade them to replace the beef with a scallop, which (to the best of my knowledge) does not emit methane into the air.

I think we made the right decision to go to Manzke. The issue here is similar to whether pro-choice people should refuse to go to Texas. I respect people who hold that view, but I personally don’t believe in erecting barriers between “us” and “them.” That just makes “them” more entrenched in their views.

We are making progress — just see Eleven Madison Park and Noma. The arc of the moral universe is long, but it trends toward justice.

I am…confused.

There’s not a single dish on that menu that’s vegan, so I don’t get where the purported separation between “us” and “them” exists since you’re not eating vegan food at Manzke (or practicing veganism in your life when it inconveniences you) in any way, shape, or form.

8 Likes

WTF??? You are drawing a parallel between restaurant choices and reproductive choices/rights? I am absolutely floored speechless.

14 Likes

…I suppose there is no difference in deciding/planning if you want a child or not (or visiting a state with restrictions on reproductive freedom) and choosing between beef or scallops.

7 Likes

No, but deciding whether to eat caviar or not is high stakes right there :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

Don’t try to look for any sense - there is none, just a very uneducated person

6 Likes

On a favorite radio talk show yesterday, the main host asked aloud “what is the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan?”. One of the three co-hosts clapped back, “depends on how annoying you are!”
This made me giggle a bit thinking about how this particular thread went from chugging along nicely to flying off the track.

5 Likes

He’s just trolling. He knows what he is saying makes zero sense.

6 Likes