Emails from SD CH posters

I don’t know that AQ is lurking, but she was on SDChow, so she has probably seen the e-mails about the move over here.

I don’t think y6y6y6 was on SDChow and I don’t know who he was in real life so I’m not sure if he’s made the leap or not. Maybe someone else knew him

Just left Doc a post on his ramen topic. Hope he comes over.

Big Pappa Sledge is in da house…wooo hoooo

:kiss:

Me, too.

Go that right Flower Chicka!

“Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver, and the other is gold.”

From childhood I’ve lived by this maxim, so here I am.

But this website isn’t exactly a step up from CH for me.

Absolutely none of the icon control buttons appear on my client (Desktop/WIN7/IE11), and although I’ve figured out where some of them should be – and hovering over those areas brings up tool tips – it’s painful.

And then there’s the absence of RSS feeds. There are none here, and that’s what I’m used to.

The site does offer email notifications, thank goodness, and so I’ve created a new mailbox and a filter to redirect mail there. I’m still trying to figure out the somewhat confusing “mute” and “track” options. I just want to follow the SD board, and am trying to get all new posts there to show up via email notifications.

I know I’ve just joined, but feel like a stranger in a strange land. I’ll stick around (in the back of the room, like Rhoneley), smile and wave, and chime in from time to time. Because old friends are here.

It’s been a long, sad four weeks for me. I opened the door a month ago on CH and got punched in the chest. It was like a cannonball had hit our happy house. But I’ve recovered from that. I still think of CH as home, even if damaged and heavily abandoned. It feels I’m in a refugee camp here at FTC, like a big open space with hastily propped up tents, but if this is the only place you’re going to be, I want to visit my friends’ home, too.

Not to mention that I don’t want BC sending me off to Candy Mountain. :wink:

So I’ll try.

There is nothing wrong with posting on both boards. More people on this board but the SD board is hard to “see” when it is put together with all (especially LA) west coast boards. The structure of this board is definitely a step back compared to CH for the SD board

Glad you’re here @DoctorChow.

And as @honkman noted, neither site is, nor should be, exclusive of the other.

Hey Doc, nice to hear from you.

The site is a little klunky for me, but I hope I’ll get used to it.

At least the topics are easy to see and comment on.

The Doc is in da House!!
Glad I didn’t have to send your arse to Candy Mountain, Charlie. . .
:horse: :candy: :mount_fuji:

I felt like I was the kid that fell asleep in class and class was dismissed. Once I woke up everybody was gone and the lights were turned off and the door was locked…

As long as when you got home the locks weren’t changed and no one was there.

Aloha littlestevie…
Looks like my posse is here…just need deckape, Salty and SM…and of course, my wing chica, foodiechick.

Chopped liver, I am.

Your glasses look new.

Hi DoctorChow,

Welcome! :smile:

To be fair, what Robert has set up here on Food Talk Central I’ve found to be FAR more robust and useful than the current abomination that is Chowhound. It’s not even close.

Posting is a snap. Editing tools, BOLD, Italics, Bullet Points, being able to EDIT your post months later. Adding Photos Inline with your posts, Emojis! :smile:, shout outs to fellow members on the board @ipsedixit, organization, actual Regional Boards again and so much more.

Chowhound is garbage compared to what we have here, and we were begging them to make basic quality of life changes and we couldn’t do that.

1 Like

Hi BC. Good to exchange posts with you. Been a while! I learned of FTC from Honk by email back on 9/25, and when I looked, it wasn’t too hard to figure out who “Plumeria” was. I wrote (to DD I think) that I thought Plumeria was a nice name. I also looked up the flower. Very nice.

Yes, no Candy Mountain for me! Yay!

I haven’t figured out how to edit a post after the fact. What’s the secret? Sometimes the wording is screwed up or I’ve left out a word entirely and would like to change that after posting.

I really don’t see any of the icon control buttons on IE11, which is awkward and frustrating. The avatars appear, but that’s about it. Also, some posts have peoples’ avatars in little squares right underneath a post, on the far left. When I hover I get “horse”, “mountain”, “cocktail glass”, etc, but not the person’s name. I also don’t know what those mean. I did find how to find out who “liked” a post.

Anyway, I’m stumbling along here and will hopefully figure things out. I can’t be the only kid on the block with IE11.

Hi DoctorChow,

I just took a screenshot:

You’re not seeing the PEN Icon (I added a Green Arrow pointing to it) on your older posts?

In addition, are you saying you don’t see the whole Icon Row that I highlighted with a Green Box in the screenshot?

Sorry I don’t use Internet Explorer (IMHO it’s pretty bad), so I don’t know if the Forums have compatibility issues?

You can ask @robert or @ipsedixit with private messages or post one on the Site Feedback forum to see if they can help debug.

Good luck.

I am not sure if it is IE11 but I have used this board on Firefix, Chrome, Safari and IE10 and it always has a “pen” under your post which, once you click on it, allows you to edit your post - just switch to Firefox (any way better than IE)

1 Like