Enter The Dragon - Striving for the Pinnacle of Dim Sum Goodness! Dragon Beaux [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @Xochitl,

So glad you made it out to Dragon Beaux and enjoyed the meal. :slight_smile: Next time give their Baked BBQ Pork Buns a try (over the Steamed version). That’s the one that they are inspired by the famous one made in Hong Kong by Tim Ho Wan years ago, and we thought was better than the U.S. branch we tried. :slight_smile:

Yah we love that Roasted Pork Belly - that crispy skin! :slight_smile: When you’re back in L.A., give Ruby BBQ a try (or Monterey Palace). Both of them have the same level of amazing crisp-crunchy skin and fresh Pork. :slight_smile:

I love Fried Taro as well! Thanks for the reminder. :wink: And if you love Taro, give their Rainbow Taro Paste Bao a try. They were SO good! :heart:

1 Like

You poke holes on the skin and let it sit skin side down in vinegar for a while before rubbing it down with salt and Chinese 5 spice. Let the skin air dry and tightly wrap only the meat portion with aluminum foil leaving the skin exposed. Then roast it in the oven. Something like that…

1 Like

I’m going to try! We use the Nordic Cookbook recipe which has you score the skin, salt it, and refrigerate it for 24 hours, but it is not as crispy! I’ll post results!

1 Like

our method very similar to what @moonboy403 described. scoring, we find, doesn’t produce those tiny tiny bubbly holes that render the skin thin crispy–instead of hard and crunchy–if that makes sense. but let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Ahhh… I sometimes see holes in photos of the roasted pork belly and was wondering why. I thought maybe the meat was on some kind of skewer or hook before or during the drying process or when roasting. Mystery of the holes solved.

I love this thread. I’m learning so much.

1 Like

Medieval torture apparatus

1 Like

Here’s the result I got from ipse’s recipe:

And here’s ipse’s instructions:

It’s not as pretty but it was very, very good.

The holes allow excess fat between the skin and meat to melt and seep through. Essentially, the skin gets fried in it’s own fat from the inside out and creates lots of air pockets which means extra crunch.

I will def try both next time. We are going back with parental units in November and already told everyone we are going to Dragon Beaux.:grinning:

1 Like