Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

The Whiskey Barrel aged Fish Sauce is good enough to drink with a spoon (they also carry Red Boat). The black garlic soy sauce is excellent as is the sashimi tamari. Not wild about the yuzu mayo.
Definitely recommend their new frozen meats collection.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: time for another trip!

I’ve had that brand of yuzu juice and it’s excellent.

1 Like

Yo get some of that bougie stuff for Sardines in Tomato Sauce with that Red Boat Black Pepper

3 Likes

Agreed with the above but I have no had the fish sauce, but the soy sauce is a DREAM. Best I’ve ever had and I’ve bought some stupid expensive japanese stuff… Also, ONLY buy it here… the mark up on it at Monsuier Marcels is considerable…

I also found the Yuzu Mayo meh. Much prefer the Mexican Lime Mayo from McCormicks.

2 Likes

Really like the yuzu marmalade

1 Like

The yuzu marmalade isn’t a far cry from the yuzu honey tea you can pick up at the Korean stores. Both really good.

1 Like

I dropped in this weekend when I tagged along with some friends on a quest for proper formage. We arrived at opening and the store had a fair amount of people already in.
I always spend too long waking around to peruse and see if there are new products.
I picked up packages of pappardelle ($6 for a big package of at least a dozen bundles!), 2 giant cans of whole San Marzanos for a Sunday gravy (not today), and an assortment of snacks to package up for a departing coworker.
I always forget how good the Ortiz tuna is! I got a can and just ate it plain with crackers. No sauce or seasoning needed. Also tried the La Brujula sardines (in oil, onions, and tomatoes). The sardines were so gentle and restrained in flavor…not the usual punch that cured oily fish typically have. Also delicious!
Epoisses is being sold by the half wheels now for $10. Great for me since I’m the only one in my household that enjoys it.
My friends picked up a Waygu bresola and a black garlic sheep’s cheese…I should have taken a photo of it. It caught my eye because I thought they had misplaced a pâté with the hard cheeses, but it was not pâté…it really was cheese. In the vacuum sealed bag, you also notice how much moisture is in the cheese gets pulled out in the sealing process. But it was a pretty good cheese…not as potent as it looks. It had the texture of the Ossau-Iraty but with smashed black garlic mixed in to and rubbed out on the rind.
Eric, Hillary, and the team remain so nice and helpful.

6 Likes

Try the frozen boudin noir next time

2 Likes

Hmmm… Will have to keep an eye out for that next time. I haven’t yet had any of their cheeses b/c we stock up on so much other stuff first that there’s no more space in cart! (we try to limit ourselves to one cart… Although I don’t quite know why)

They have a wonderful Scottish smoked salmon that’s very smooth (can’t recall the name, but Eric was very excited about it, so I imagine he could point it out to you). I think it was a 5 oz package. The blood-orange juice (frozen) is also amazing.

3 Likes

Next time also keep an eye out for the Meredith Farm’s marinated feta. My favorite cheese period. Goes good with so many things including salads and figs. On pizza… on crackers…:

5 Likes

@tailbacku & @Dommy, thanks!
And I’ve tried both of your suggestions before. During Christmas I get both Blanc and Noir. Makes for a fun breakfast as we open gifts and for our continued eating on the 26th. My best friend LOVES the Meredith Farms marinated feta. She gets it every other trip so she can try new cheeses.
@paranoidgarliclover I was eyeing the blood orange juice, but didn’t pull the trigger since I’ve seen it during my last several trips. I’ll have to ask Eric about the smoked Scottish salmon next time.

4 Likes

Such a coincidence that you mentioned this. Been using a lot of feta b/c I’m making very basic salads for lunch, and I love feta w/ salads. Not exactly a fan of supermarket feta, so I’ll def keep an eye out for this next time.

2 Likes

I’ve also seen it a Whole Foods and a couple of grocery stores in case you don’t want to venture out to the Valley. But the pricing at Epicurus is superb.

4 Likes

Yep! It gets looked over because… I mean… how good can feta be?! It’s in a jar of oil and who likes oily stuff… and there are several knock offs out there, including one that is sold by Trader joes and it’s just meh. But this is the real deal… super creamy and amazingly tasty cheese that you wish all spready cheeses are. We call it The Crack (because it’s so good with fresh cracked pepper).

4 Likes

I picked up the half wheel of Epoisse as well. So good!
Highly recommend the Wagyu burgers. I am a snob about burgers usually grinding my own, but these are so good I use the preformed ones.
Looking forward to them finally getting a beer and wine license so Eric can go wild with his selection of boutique European wines.

3 Likes

I take a part of gift exchanges and I was so excited to take part of a snack exchange so I could send some of my favorite snacks… But when I got the match… it was a challenge. There as much she could not have… but she gave me a few good leads and when sending her a message she mentioned Canned Fish… and I’m like… OH my… I can do that AND get a trip out of Epicurious Gourmet out of it too!

I haven’t been in a while and was so happy to see their expanded cold cases. Thanks to @ebethsdad on the tip abou thte Wagyu burgers! I would have totally skipped over them…

They are selling several more desserts! I got the Ricotta Lemon Cheesecase and the Mini Juniors. Both were so delicious…

A bucket of the good stuff… ON SALE!! But they sell the small jars too…

The target acquired! Lots and lots of canned fishies! Some new ones too! In addition to the the ones I sent to the exchange… I got myself from Tuna as well…

I was super tempted by these Ibiza Sea Salts with flavors!! Some really unique ones too!

The Haul! I had to get some more baguettes for the freezer…

–Dommy!

13 Likes

EG is like Costco for me. Go in to buy a few things and end up w/ a cart full of stuff.

5 Likes

HA! And when you get home you realize you forgot something because you were distracted by the new and shiny things!

GAH! Risotto Rice!!

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly’s conservas power rankings:

1. squid (love how they detach the tentacles from the mantle and expertly pack it back into the squid’s empty body cavity)
  2. anchovies
  3. razor clams
  4. octopus
  5. mussels

ate with rice or whatever leftover bread i could find.

9 Likes