Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

I went yesterday after stopping by the Business Costco down the street (they have the best tortillas. Look for the Romero’s branded ones.)

Love the half wheel of Epoisses that EP carries. Also picked up some guanciale to make carbonara tonight.

2 Likes

I was there as well yesterday, but I don’t think I saw you. Got the half wheel of epoisse myself. Their guanciale is excellent.
Hillary said their holiday merchandise is starting to arrive. Should be a flood of items next week.
Plenty of conservas. I picked up the squid and sardines.
Any bakers (@Happybaker…) they have a great assortment of specialty flours. I picked up some French flour for baguettes. They have fresh yeast - the only place I have found it in town.
It is definitely an ascetic struggle to keep from going overboard there.

4 Likes

What has helped me is how relatively easy is to get there. It’s right off the freeway, you can make a swing over to Glendale easy for some Mini Kabob so to me, I tend not to horde as I know I probably will be back soon. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

2 Likes

@ebethsdad - Oooh… Fresh yeast! I have never been able to play with that so that is very tempting! It might be dangerous to get me close to all the flours. Then again, if I peek, easy to give people gift suggestions from there :smile:

And a half wheel of Epoisses? That might be our Xmas gift to ourselves, we fell in love with that cheese at the late great Palate in Glendale.

@tailbacku - they are close to the North Hollywood Business Costco? Really? We were just there yesterday to pick up their sliced almonds - two pounds for about $6.50,. incredible deal, perfect for my holiday baking and candy making and the regular costco’s don’t carry them anymore. If I go back I will look for the Romero tortilla’s.

3 Likes

just keep driving east down Sherman Way for a plethora of goodies - Costco Business, Salsa & Beer, El Taco Llama, Roots, El Pollo Campero…

4 Likes

Whew! Next trip I’ll budget in exploration time!

1 Like

There are a couple Tacos de Canasta vendors heading down Sherman way towards the airport too. I’m always in a rush to stop by and pay them a Visit… One of these days…

2 Likes

Today’s Epicurus lunch.

I added the previously mentioned pepper flakes and proceeded to blow my mind.

10 Likes

#uglydelicious

Made my first trip out here a few weeks ago and really got some great stuff. Following the lead of some in this thread, I got a few baguettes with la brujula smoked fish and made myself some great sandwiches.

We also got a spanish chorizo that just blew away what you get in normal markets.

Last, they had these unlabeled frozen croissants from France which, when baked, honestly rivaled Chaumont. My whole house smells like french butter.

This place is a trek but really worth it.

6 Likes

I think these might even be “better” than the baguettes. The quality of those croissants is unreal.

2 Likes

those frozen baguettes are good, but the crust comes out rock hard. like break-your-teeth-and-destroy-the-roof-of-your-mouth hard. anybody else?

i’m going to try spraying it with some water and wrapping it in foil for the first 5 minutes to see if that helps.

1 Like

How long had the baguettes? Our last batch (which have been in the freezer “forever”) were really tough. Otherwise, they’ve always been quite good. Chewy, but pleasantly so.

1 Like

maybe that’s it. this one might have been from the first batch i bought last year that’s been hiding in the bottom of my freezer. i guess they don’t keep forever.

1 Like

yes, or not–hard but still cold in center.

I’ve been playing around with various iterations of 350 for 5 and then 325 for 4, etc. Still haven’t gotten it dialed in yet. Still, damn good for frozen, but not perfect.

The croissants in contrast are perfection.

2 Likes

Damn it, I was just there and saw the croissants but didn’t buy any. I wish I did.

2 Likes

The croissants are epic. I don’t buy the baguettes as I make my own. They have been expanding the frozen meat and seafood selections. One could go crazy buying butter, cheese and charcuterie there…and chocolate, olive oil, vinegars, pasta, flours (where else can you get French baguette flour?) San Marzano tomatoes. It’s a great operation; it rivals Zingermans and like Zingermans the people are wonderful.

3 Likes

my favorite place to shop outside the shop I love in Bologna, Italy (can’t remember the name, darnit, but thankfully going back this month).

My freezer is filled with the French lemon butter, the vanilla butter is divine and makes a great gift with my homemade sourdough boule, and they have chocolate covered limoncello-filled truffles that are incredible.

5 Likes

They sell baguette flour? Great to know! Though I just bought 50 lbs of bread flour and 00.

2 Likes

Wait this is in Bologna or at Epicurus? These sound epic!

1 Like