Fast Food Thread

I think the acronym there might prove… what do the kids say these days? … problematic.

6 Likes

Yup. Golden Scoop

At Golden Scoop? I haven’t run into that. They’re normal sized to me. Visually they look the same as what I see in other fast food places or supermarket fried chicken. I haven’t gotten from those places in a while though. Compared to Pioneer, KK at Golden Scoop is smaller but not extremely so.

They have raised prices. An 8 piece of dark, legs and thighs, is now $11.99, as of two weeks ago. Was $8.99 pre-pandemic. But size has remained the same to me. It’s still acceptable QPR to me but certainly not as good as what it was before.

:smiley: I love alliteration but…yeah…

2 Likes

Whoops. I didn’t notice or think of that.

Ugh.

Guess I’ll need to start looking at possible acronyms for everything I say.

I last went to the one in Valley Village.

Another place that occasionally serves tiny chickens is El Pollo Loco. Compared to Popeyes or to KFC seem a little small to me.

Though nothing is as tiny as Ay Papa Que Rico. Not kidding, smaller than game hens.

1 Like

Speaking of fried chicken some of these Cambodian donut shops doing takeout American-Chinese are also doing chicken. The spot above does a Black Pepper Chicken with a very tasty sauce. Local spot. A little southeast county secret.
For dessert a maple bar, chocolate bar, and a apple fritter/bear claw will hit the spot for me! Not all 3 lol. If only some of these donut shops started serving a limited quantity of some Chiu Chow or Khmer food that would be f’ing great.

4 Likes

Interesting. The biz model is the chicken is supplied by approved vendors. Operator takes the prepped chicken and fries on site. KK provides signage and equipment to the tier level operator paid for.

Theoretically this maintains a consistent standard. The prep and holding part would be the operator variable KK can’t control. A location could choose to just fry up a couple of big batches all day and let them sit under the lamp vs more frequent small batches.

You’d think piece size would be consistent though. As noted, seems like at Golden Scoop the quality is good due to the location’s dedication to maintaining the quality for all their food.

I can see a convenience store struggling to have more consistency in quality vs Golden Scoop which is cooking food all day. But that doesn’t explain the size difference.

Wonder if the supplier offers different tiers of sizes to manage the profit margin. That’s the only thing I can think of, unless some locations are bypassing buying from the approved supplier which would kind of defeat the purpose of making it easy to sell?

The last few years I’ve seen more of that combo donut/chinese takeout/fried chicken in local places. It always struck me as smart business. You’ve got all the same equipment needed for frying and cooking, it’s not that tough to expand out a product line that would appeal to the same customer base.

Like your example and mine with Golden Scoop, if a place cares about overall quality, chances are their food is good. Which means there’s a good chance your scenario could come true! Somewhere out there there’s an owner who wants to put out his good regional food. Just need to find it!

1 Like

It’s probably just my perception. I’ll need to do something more scientific. A Bang X3 is obviously going to be needed.

1 Like

I salute your dedication! For completion’s sake, I think you should include a couple different supermarket fried chicken for comparison. And then head down to Boyle Heights and get some Pioneer chicken too!

1 Like

Boyle Heights? While I’m at it, I should see if there’s an MPG difference on various brands of gasoline, as long as I’m going to be putting on a few hundred miles for this “project”

5 Likes

Multi-tasking for maximum efficiency! Can always do a bang bang with other options around Pioneer Chicken. Get a bean and cheese burrito at Al n Bea’s, breakfast burrito at George’s. Those all fall under fast food as befitting this thread!

3 Likes

I AM built like a cow, four stomachs and all LOL

I remember pioneer chicken from when I first moved out here. But maybe a Boyle Heights bang bang bang bang bang bang bang would be a good idea.

3 Likes

Paging all fast food fatties, Mexican pizza is back!

Haven’t been to TB in a minute but I love me some Mexican pizza.

5 Likes

I love SoCal burger stands.

George’s in Boyle Heights is freakin awesome. Those chilli cheese fries :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This could easily go under drunk, stoned, hungry thread….

Burger King gets $3.99 for a whopper Junior. WTF?

The pro play, is just to get a customized double cheeseburger, it’s definitely easiest to do through the app.

$2.49 Double cheeseburger, has two whopper Junior patties and cheese. So customize by getting rid of the mustard, and adding mayo and then add extra onions extra pickles extra tomato (Doesn’t have to be extra if you don’t want, obviously, but I do it on the Whopper too)

It’ll cost you under $2.70.

BONUS PRO TIP:

If you have a second person to share with, or you are a pig like me, you can do the same thing in order to get a cheaper whopper.

The lunatics charge $8.39 for a whopper with cheese.

Get the 2/$5 Mix ‘N Match deal in the app. Get the quarter pound king. It comes with cheese and is the same patty and bun as the whopper.

Again, kill the mustard, add mayo, add extra onions, extra lettuce, extra pickle, extra tomato. It will cost you ~ $5.20 for the equivalent of two whoppers with cheese.

8 Likes

Your menu hack wisdom is amazing!

1 Like

:rofl:

I’m Jewish. This is related to the 11th commandment about saving money.

4 Likes

Mel Brooks - The 15 Commandments

3 Likes

Congrats guys

5 Likes

It turns out if you happen to be anywhere near the McDonald’s in Thousand Oaks on the corner of Moorpark Road and Janss they do ALL DAY BREAKFAST. Everything. You can’t order through the app though.

I wonder if there are any other locations secretly doing this?

One of the biggest obstacles to car fine dining on the Filet O Hashbrown is the hashbrown. Lucky folks in T.O.

1730 N Moorpark Rd
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

BTW, There was no sign that they had breakfast all day, the only way I knew was because the car in front of me their order stayed on the board when I pulled up, and they had all these breakfast items. So I asked.

So every time you go to McDonald’s it may pay to ask.

7 Likes

Any other unadvertised deals at McD?

At my local:

2 for $6 royales with cheese, 10pc nuggets, Big Macs, FoF’s
2 for $3.50 mcdoubles / mcchickens

Thus:
2 royales, 20 nuggets, free medium fries via app, and large coke for $13

5 Likes