Fathers Day 2023 Brunch Ideas

Anybody have new places they’ve been to recently and liked? So far I’m thinking of Gjelina, Republique or Heritage BBQ. Originally was thinking of Danny Boys/Bianco but both are closed on Sunday and cannot move to Saturday.

We’re in OC and willing to drive a decent distant but it has to be good. I’m the driver and the honoree so I have ultimate decision making authority (well at least this one day per year). Only caveat is I need to be home early afternoon to watch the last round of the US Open.

3 Likes

gjelina
fishing with dynamite
yang’s kitchen
manuela
holbox
sei

3 Likes

Some good ideas @PorkyBelly. Never been to Yangs or Sei. The brunch menu at Yangs might not be the best representation since it’s kinda limited. Pizzeria Sei has reservations and I’ve been hankering for pizza but think I want something plus pizza. I need to go to both of these places.

I would opt for Gjusta at 11am over Gjelina since you can order both breakfast and off the regular menu at Gjusta starting at 11am.

1 Like

Good luck getting a reservation at this point! Father’s Day is nuts.

a bang bang at sei, needle, daybird, and quarter sheets would be perfect.

4 Likes

Might try to bang a farmers market in LA. Is Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Brentwood or SM going to provide me with the best stone fruits?

1 Like

Hollywood is probably the best FM after SM on wednesdays.

1 Like

Pretty late with no reservation for Gjelina type spots; Heritage might be your best bet though it’ll probably be a madhouse too but at least you won’t have had to drive as far.

Still plenty of good options that don’t require reservations.
Pizzeria Sei has a noon reservation for 4 available right now

Maybe not a fancy sit down brunch but sharing in case anybody needs ideas. Working through the logistics and timing for coffee/breakfast, Hollywood Farmers Market, Prime Pizza and lunch in that order. Opening times listed.
Gjusta - 7am/11am for lunch
Doubting Thomas - 7:30am
Maru Coffee - 8am
Republique - 8am
GCM - most breakfast places open at 8am
All Day Baby - 9am
Yang’s Kitchen - 9am
Needle - 11am
Holbox - 11:30am
Moo’s Craft BBQ - noon
Prime Pizza - 11am (probably picking up a pie in Lil Tokyo to reheat for dinner)

3 Likes

My vote is for Needle lol enjoy that char siu and Hong Kong french toast!

#2 Yangs Kitchen, the food and ingredients is top notch and the drive time is less. Do you really want to drive from North OC to Venice and back on Fathers Day? LOL. You can get a steak brunch at Yangs.

I never want to do that drive. Haha.

1 Like

Plenty of windows available for pickup at the moment in case you want to do something quick; windows start at 9 though.

https://www.exploretock.com/republiquela/

1 Like

Endorffeine opens at 9am. Might be the best coffee in LA because only Sergio does the pours and pulls. Always has good beans. I think he had Sey the last time I was there.

From there drive down Sunset to Hollywood Farmers Market.

After the market go down Santa Monica Blvd or Sunset to Silverlake for Needle. Get your HK French toast and char siu. Before you leave call Prime Little Tokyo and place your order.

Drop off your wife or kid at Prime and “circle the block” like back in the day in NYC or just throw your flashers on LMAO.

Go home take a nap and watch tennis.

2 Likes

Republique has a different line at brunch where you can walk past everybody who is eating there and order stuff to go. I usually do this bc I like to see the pastries before ordering but more so bc it pisses everybody off in line wondering what the hell I’m doing.

it says they are closed on the weekend otherwise I was definitely going here for coffee. Switched up to Maru instead.

I need to do Needle for dinner when I can order from the dinner menu. The brunch menu is limited and the French toast looks great but I’m more about that char siu and the savory side of the menu.

2 Likes

You mean to tell me that line pouring outside of Repulique in the mornings is people waiting for tables, not the bakery, and I could just push past them? ffs.

4 Likes

it’s a very limited menu at that window; coffee, crossiant, bomboloni, pop tarts, danish, coffee cake.

there is only one menu

1 Like

No you can literally walk inside past the huge line and order whatever you want from the pastry case to go. There is a register at the far end that is prioritized for to go orders. Not the window where they used to sell ice cream from.

2 Likes

Oh. I assumed the brunch menu was different.

that’s a game changer. but why wouldn’t they allow that at the window? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes