Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

Goddamn

Was out in the valley a couple of weeks ago and did take out from furn saj: a falafel pizza and a beef shawerma with saj. as i was running errands and didn’t get home for another couple of hours, the car smelled really good for about an hour and a half and everything had cooled down.

the shawerma (shown reheated in an air fryer) smelled a lot better than it tasted to me; i got a sense that hummus had been added, and the hummus had found a way to react with the other ingredients in a less than spectacular way.

the falafel pie was a very pleasant surprise. i recommend it quite highly.

2 Likes

Sort of sad. It’s the closest thing we’ve had to a neighborhood restaurant in Granada Hills since I’ve been living here beginning early 90’s. Comments read that Vito(Owner) is a dick to work for and/or his son doesn’t want to renew the lease to inherit the business. I will say, the North end of the valley continues to be ripe for a proper decent establishment to come through and make its mark.

6 Likes

This is a game changer for me

Mitsuwa Marketplace, the largest Japanese grocery store chain in the United States, has revealed plans to open a new location on Saturday, Jan. 21 in Southern California’s San Fernando Valley, at 8940 Tampa Avenue in the Northridge community of Los Angeles. Located within the Walnut Grove Shopping Center, the supermarket will be minutes away from the California State University, Northridge campus

9 Likes

Just drove by the other day. Was happy to see.

Plus you can go to COSTCO right afterwards since it’s virtually next door.

3 Likes

I first heard of this in May, in this thread:

It was originally slated to open in the Fall of 2022. The last time I made a bread and takeout run to Northridge, I drove by and the signage was up, but little else. It’s not a huge location, so I don’t know how much they’ll have in the way of food vendors/stalls. Still, it will be nice to have a Japanese market much closer to where I live.

3 Likes

F the Costco experience.

Woodland Hills. Not this awesome when I lived there…

Mini Kabob
Slab BBQ
Katsu Sando
Amboy Quality Burgers
DTown Pizza

Damn!

8 Likes

La Morra opening takeout and delivery location in Studio City/Sherman Oaks

4 Likes

And down to two. Looks like 1986 didn’t make it a year….

:astonished:

Avi Que popping up with wagyu schwarma pitas in that location.

2 Likes

where is that?

Avi que is extremely overpriced and over rated in my opinion. I would rather get 6-9 pastor tacos from any street taco place than pay $22 for his “wagyu” shawarma. His food is so commonplace in Israel and typically costs $5 a sandwich.

4 Likes

Where Tacos 1986 was in studio city

Fair, but we are not in Israel and this is all we have. Of course there are plenty of other Israeli Food options in the valley, but they charge just as much as this guy. I believe his sandwich is $15, Tel Aviv Grill is probably $18 for their pita shawarma.

2 Likes

His pita shawarma is $22! insulting portions for that price.
At least the other spots are a full pita and give you as many pickles on the side as you want. I had friends go this past weekend and they said it arrived cold.

We aren’t in Israel, but anyone can make arayes at home very easily. As for the shawarma, buy a vertical rotisserie on Amazon and make them at home endlessly for the price of 8 of his half pitas :laughing:

I’m just bitter that this hyped IG pop-up along with so many restaurants these days are charging insane amounts of money for something so basic and simple.

7 Likes

the hype factor makes me go elsewhere
maybe https://www.nohoshawarmahouse.com/

in limited visits, ive found mizlala to be pretty good for pitas, falafel, etc. they also have a sherman oaks location…

Mizlala in Sherman Oaks used to be awesome before the menu change. Now it just doesn’t seem interesting at all. Here’s what it used to look like:

6 Likes