Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

Recently moved to the valley and ended up at Peru’s Taste on Saturday thanks to this thread. The lomo saltado was pretty good but the sauces are the highlight imo. We tried to go to Salsa and Beer first but there was an hour wait for a 2 top.

On Sunday we went day drinking on the patio at Sagebrush Cantina. The sampler plate for $20 was pretty standard.

Can’t wait to try FurnSaj this weekend. Keep the west valley suggestions coming.

9 Likes

Sagebrush used to be such a great Sunday hangout years ago. Haven’t been in ages. Food is definitely not the reason to go there :wink:

Salsa & Beer coming soon signage is up at their soon to be Las Virgenes at the 101 location (formerly Coco’s) in Calabasas.

Which Furn Saj? They aren’t open in Calabasas yet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning to go to the one in Calabasas since it looked like it was open on Google maps then head up to Las Posas for some strawberries.

Hyped for the Salsa and Beer on Las Virgenes!

2 Likes

Instead of Sagebrush you could head further west and hit up Tavern Tomoko at Kanan. Good beer thanks to sharing location with Ladyface Ale, and good robata skewers and burgers. Not a scene like Sagebrush, but better food for sure.

2 Likes

It’s going to be tough for me deciding between that and the Taco Bell next door.

1 Like

Added Tavern Tomoko to the list. Never drank Ladyface but hear good things.

I’m going to start a petition to bring back the Baja Chicken Chalupa-- who’s with me?

In all honesty, I’ve already told myself Salsa and Beer is going to be amazing based on the name alone and I think im settings myself up for disappointment.

2 Likes

I love Salsa & Beer. One of my favorite places.

All of their locations are busy. They’ve opened another one or two on Vanowen Street closer to NoHo, to go with two locations they already had in Lake Balboa and NoHo.

But the big location on Sherman Way in NoHo is IMHO the best of their locations. Two full bars and the grill definitely produces smokier meats than the other location in Lake Balboa (Van Nuys) which also only has beer and wine license.

But that Sherman Way location is also the busiest.

3 Likes

Interesting offerings in Reseda: Egyptian Street Food.

Thinking @EattheWorldLA has probably already sussed it out, but didn’t find it on their site nor did I find a FTC post about it.

4 Likes

Added this to my list when I saw the article, but have not been yet. It does look fun!

1 Like

100%. You go there for drinks, not the food.

4 Likes

actually, some of us went only for the salsa dancing.

1 Like

Went to Las Fuentes in Reseda for lunch today.

:musical_note:warm smell of mulitas rising up through the air :musical_note:

They put bacon in their mulitas. It’s true what they say about bacon. They serve with sour cream and guacamole.

They really load up their tacos. The asada tacos are about $3.50 each but they are loaded with nuggets of steak that are chopped into larger pieces than most places.

Some fully dressed carnitas tacos…

They really are careful here. They have about 10 spaces set aside for curbside pickup. You can go in and order but it is really distanced. You then exit and wait outside at a designated pickup area.

We ate in the car next to a park.

Oh, and the meal came with free air freshener…

http://lasfuentes.com/

May 2021 Rundown

8 Likes

Speaking of Mexican food is El Taco Llama any good? Trying to get some good Mexican food in West Valley.

@Ns1 swears by getting hard shell tacos with pastor there at El Taco Llama. Yep, can confirm their tastiness.

Tacos Reyes is pretty good, though not Tire Shop good. So are the El Tapatio locations (Woodland Hills and I think Canoga Park). But I think of these as taquerias.

Personally I’d rather go to the Las Fuentes family of restaurants, Las Fuentes, Senor Sol, Melody’s, and Sol Y Luna.

3 Likes

The hard shell tacos are legitimately good and satisfying. I will fight anyone on that.

The rest of the menu? Standard Mexican fare, 10/10 when drunk/stoned ymmv at all other times and also dependent on what is normally near you.

But those hard shell tacos? Yeah I go out of my way to stop here sometimes to pre/post bang.

Convenient bang bang:

NoHo El Taco Llama, Epicurus, then anything on Sherman Way

The other NoHo El Taco Llama x Chiang Mai Thai Cuisine x Tel Aviv Grill

Chatsworth El Taco Llama X NY Chicken & Gyro

In summary: any of gr8pimpin’s recs are better than El Taco Llama, but El Taco Llama never has a wait and has cravable hard shell tacos.

8 Likes

Nice bang x2 travel guide!!

2 Likes

I’m supposed to meet a friend for lunch in the valley next week.

I suggested Baja Subs in Northridge based on glowing reports by J. Thurman and my friend said someone recommended Bombay Frankie’s in Woodland Hills.

I’ve tried neither place and only tried Sri Lankan for the first time at Apey Kade for takeout a few weeks ago (good, but open to exploring other places).

Great palates and minds of FTC - what say you? Baja Subs vs Bombay Frankie for lunch? Which one is worth the drive from the Westside?

1 Like

Salsa & Beer

I did not find Bombay Frankie worth any sort of
drive

3 Likes

@Ns1 are you serious about Salsa & Beer or making fun of me LOL!!

I agree!!

@foodshutterbug , I can’t speak to neither Bombay Frankie nor Baja Subs. I would love to try Baja Subs.

Another possible drive worthy place FOR ME would be Brent’s. When I’m in the valley, I also like koreatowns Myung In Dumplings, they have a location in Northridge too.

3 Likes

Not mutually exclusive :wink:

3 Likes