The Bombay Frankie Company (Sawtelle)

That’s too bad they couldn’t keep the gas station location! I’ll be curious if the afd/ change anything at the new location

New location in Woodland Hills. Looks like they are open.

Ventura Blvd just east of Topanga in the former location of Jerry’s Crappy Deli. So the deli became the Delhi.

21857 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Photo credit: Google

3 Likes

Oh, wow good parking too, that’s a huge space i wonder if they are going to be busy enough to use it all! But good for them

1 Like

Not Mumbai?

1 Like

Has anyone been recently? My memory is that reviews were mixed.

I think that it was divided a couple years ago after Jerry’s closed. Urban Plates is there too. Still probably a big space.

I wasn’t that impressed the one time I went. It was decent Indian food inside a burrito. I kept wondering what the hype was. It wasn’t like the flavors were mind blowing. It was fine and I wouldn’t turn it down, but nothing to make it stand out from many other perfectly adequate Indian places beyond the fact it was in a burrito.

1 Like

Same here. Dry white meat to boot, which is arguably authentic.

1 Like

My brother went today. He eats a lot of Indian food. He liked it.

He reminded me that this space was Dickeys BBQ, one of the businesses that moved into the divvied up remnants of Jerry’s.

3 Likes

I think if you judge it against other quick service restaurants it’s not bad, at least it’s a change of pace. Hopefully they can expand their offerings a bit now that they are expanding to a more traditional kitchen space.

3 Likes

That’s almost verbatim what my brother said. He eats a lot of Indian food with Indian coworkers.

2 Likes

Haven’t been since the gas station version of the restaurant. The chef/owner was present on our first visit. The Frankies were surprisingly good with careful attention paid to each component. Not quite as good on subsequent visits so we tended to focus on the daals, chana masala and other sides which were always excellent. Very easy to pre-order and grab a couple of containers on the way home from work.

:cry: Loved that Chevron location. If you know west LA and that SM Blvd. exit and the sneaky Beloit Ave. cut down to Olympic - it was a slam dunk during rush hour.

4 Likes

Hopefully you weren’t one of the people trying to turn left there! Total death wish, IMHO.

1 Like

Good lord, no. It was a straight shot SB all the way.

I went to the one at the Westfield Culver City…

One thing to note… I love Indian food. Make it often at home. It can get a little monotonous for some… but I kinda love it and I think the Frankie is the perfect form. I love the bread they use… it obviously has some yogurt and had this soft but pliable texture! It’s not a pita. It’s not a wrap. It’s not a burrito… it’s a Frankie…

No pics from my last visit…. But these things are huge! I appreciate that they are well wrapped and they pre slice them. I could never finish just one.

I almost always order the chicken tikka masala. It’s white meat…. But it’s never dry for me. I never order the chicken at Chipotle because it’s often dry. They also put in big chunks. So it’s quite satisfying. One time P brought home the “bowl” version. It was meh. Has to be in the Frankie.

P recently had the crispy fish one. He said the fish wasn’t too crispy when he got it. I hope to
Order that next.

Another bonus is that they sell Badmaash Chai. I love the wink to their more upscale competitor (who I also love)

If I was in the area like I was before the pandemic I would totally hit this place once a week.

7 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

If you have been curious about Frankies or that awesome Badmaash Chai over the next few day the BFC is taking part of a Fundraiser for India… so good food… great cause…. Glad both BFC and BadMaash are taking part!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPG622YDCjq/?utm_medium=copy_link

4 Likes

I missed this at the time, but bizarrely I was in the neighborhood on a bread and takeout run on the very day you posted this! I planned on stopping again at Baja Subs, but, unfortunately, I couldn’t make contact via phone. Instead, I got takeout from nearby Red Chili and adjacent India Sweets & Spices.

I did make a takeout run from Baja Subs last Summer. The menu has expanded greatly over its previous ownership. Still solid, was greatly enjoyable. I plan a return attempt at takeout before the gates are flung wide.

2 Likes

Is Red Chili still good? Loved it the one time I went there (prob ~10 yrs go).

I’d say so. This time around, I got goat nihari and fish karahi. Both are very, very good. The goat was especially good. Leftovers tonight. I made a takeout pickup from Red Chili last Summer as well.

4 Likes