February 2022 Rundown

Baja Subs, Northridge.

Fish curry with rice. Kale with coconut; beets; dal; jackfruit; green beans.

Vegetable curry version, which like the fish, came with pappadum and a dried red pepper. Side order malu paan also pictured.

Closer look at Malu paan.

8 Likes

Chopped cheese! This is tasty AF. Went to the OG bodega that invented this sandwich. Haji’s/Blue Sky in East Harlem

12 Likes

Turmeric latte at Punjabi Grocery and Deli.

14 Likes

You’re killing me with these posts!

Damn!!!

2 Likes

A Good Mawning from Bodega Truck chopped cheese is pretty fire.

7 Likes

Kopitiam, Chinatown NYC, Fujian side

Been wanting to try this place for so long! Finally! I love it!

@J_L attend a conference and get some con ed just so you can try this place out!

White coffee. Nice aroma. Slight chocolate/burnt taste in a good way.

Kaya Toast with soft boiled egg.

Fish ball soup with spinach. Oyster omelette.

No older Uncles reading the paper, smoking, and gossiping though.

Bonus:
Delivery from 886. Could barely walk after a day of sight seeing. I like the vibe at St Marks Place though. I’ll be back to try some other Chinese places.

Hakka stir fry, Sacha beef, and Flies Head. Some classic Taiwanese done right. I’m still going to give Ho Foods another try at another day. Not as good as Cindy’s, Dai Ho, and Corner Beef. None of those are as good as my Shandong-Taiwanese grandma’s beef noodle soup lol

13 Likes

I’ll eat another bodega BEC or a cutlet sandwich just for you!

1 Like

They should bring it to LA! Egg and potatoes sounds like a great addition to chopped cheese.

Adding to my Valley gem list: Tel Aviv Fish Grill in Tarzana. This place is owned by the same people who own Tel Aviv Grill, a Valley mini chain which has pretty good shwarma sandwiches. But this place is really their crown jewel. Amazing Israeli breakfasts, fluffy pita and creamy hummus, and a wide variety of very good fish preparations. Every single dish comes with like a PLANK of sides and dips. Highly recommended.

6 Likes

Cheung fun cart at Hester x Elizabeth. Take it to Sara D Roosevelt Park. Fresh piping hot rice roll

11 Likes

That location is where Tel Aviv‘s second location was before they moved to Encino. And then they turned that location into the fish place

It’s also the shopping center where Latte Larry’s and Mocha Joe’s was located for Curb Your Enthusiasm :wink:

10 Likes

My Brooklyn foodie friend posted a photo of his 886 beef with dry tofu lunch just yesterday!

1 Like

Interesting!

I like Tel Aviv grill just fine. I think the Fish Grill is better.

1 Like

Petit Trois

Wadatsumi Torrance

Angus skirt steak bowl over perfectly beef fat laced gohan. :heart_eyes:

Aburiya Raku - Las Vegas

Juicy fried chicken is indeed juicy. :heart_eyes: Goes great with the Asahi on tap.

Foie gras on a stick :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Hail Mary - Atwater Village

Deluxe chopped salad was damn tasty. :heart_eyes: I liked the vegetables better than the pizza, tomato sauce was too sweet for my liking. Will grab a non tomato sauce based pizza as pizza I wanted was sold out.

Broccoli with chimichurri was charred and seasoned to perfection. The slight bitter char was excellent and the broccoli had just enough pleasurable bounce to each bite.

La Huasteca - Buena Park

Guacamole

La Huasteca enchiladas with carne asada

Enmoladas poblanas with chicken - that is some seriously complex mole. :heart_eyes:

Eggslut - Beverly Center

Fairfax with sausage

21 Likes

Detention DTSA. Took over the old Playground spot. Jason is in sabbatical but actually ran into him outside. He looks great and happy.

Detention food is very much in the ethos of Playground. Bright, flavorful, bold and in your face but executed well. We enjoyed all the dishes and will be back soon.

Lettuce with crunchy quinoa, marcona almonds, flor di latte and crunchy shallots. Delicious. Copious amounts of the quinoa, almond, crunch which was so good.

Cacio e pepe coated cheesy bread on top of spicy tomato sauce. The cheese oozed out of the middle when you cut into the bread.

Scallop crudo with chili crunch, ponzu and crispy shallots. My son had 2.

Everything seasoned sea trout with lots of stuff including dill, capers and red onion and cornichons. This was a deconstructed bagel with lox and toppings minus the bagel. I wish there was some type of starch but the flavors were delicious.

Gruyere agnolotti over caramelized onion. It was a fun play on French onion soup. Pasta top notch.

Not pictures a very fatty but delicious dry aged ribeye. The cocktails were excellent and they had Pliny on draft. Lovely early Saturday dinner.

13 Likes

Saw Tam’s representing in the Halftime show made me want to get some chilli cheese fries, orange bang, and a hood burger

12 Likes

That sign made me laugh. In addition to being a South LA staple I wondered if they used it because it was easy to license. There was an article on Tommy’s Burgers I can’t find that mentioned they’ve never gone after the knockoff names so it would be a little rich if Tam’s licensed their name for money.

Then again, it’s the Super Bowl so it’s not like money is an issue. Man, that whole set piece was amazing.

2 Likes

Went to Pasta|Bar last night. I do not recommend anyone else going. I will definitely not be returning.

3 Likes

what went wrong?

I actually liked Scratch Bar back when that existed. The service/presentation was a bit over the top for my liking, but the food was generally pretty good even though it was overly fussy and always included some sort of foam/gel. The food at Pasta|Bar just wasn’t on the same level. None of the dishes were bad per se, but there was not a single standout and a couple were bland and straight up under-seasoned. I would not advise anyone spend the money dining there when there are better meals to be had elsewhere for the same price or substantially less.