The box of gluttonous doom…

already ate 3 cookies lol

type or paste code here
4 Likes

Salsa & Beer NoHo!

CARNITAS

ASADA CON CAMARONES

12 Likes

Light morning snack at Porto’s in Glendale.

Getting my fill of guava. Also coconut strudel.

It’s Smiling

Seafood potato ball. What’s in it? Seafood, I guess. I did get a chunk of shrimp.

Not pictured, ham croquettes, chicken croquettes and regular potato balls.

THIS IS A DRUG….

12 Likes

You guessed correctly:

“Porto’s signature potato puree filled with a seafood ragout (calamari, shrimp, and scallop with garlic, cilantro, lemon zest, and tomato sauce). With a crispy cilantro panko crust.”

(We’ve a gift card for their “Bake at Home” stuff: need to actually redeem it at some point.)

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of those mystery seafood balls. The Porto’s bake at home is 90% as good as the bakery product imo

5 Likes

…and a brilliant and adaptive business move.

John’s Roast Pork, South Philly.

Cheesesteak with american and fried onions. Long hot on the side.

Notice how the cheese and onions are integrated with the steak? Not some melted glob on top.

Bread is always from a local South Philly bakery. Even better if they baked it in house like Angelo’s. Amoroso is kinda crappy tbh.

The steak all have a similar seasoning but the way it is chopped up varies on the location.

Cheese and fried onions is a must.

That’s a proper cheesesteak my friends.

19 Likes

Same! It reminds me of shrimp bisque inside a potato ball. I prefer it to the regular.

2 Likes

Had no idea there was seafood balls only had the beef balls.

1 Like

A Lenten speciality. Only available in the spring before Easter.

4 Likes

YES!! I said something similar to wifey as I was devouring one.

1 Like

Dude that look so fine. Them Philly cheesesteaks, dim sum at OG Phoenix Inn, Tastykakes, and having an Orange Julius while chillin’ at King of Prussia back in the day are some of the things I miss most about SE PA…

4 Likes

An old friend who has lived in Philadelphia for many years dragged us to what she said was the best dim sum in the city. I wanted to try some famous old-school pizza place, but no.

2 Likes

Yangban Society! I love it!

Pork belly and roasted kimchi fried rice (egg, sesame leaf, garlic chive, toasted nori):

Yangban wings (twice fried, soy-garlic glaze):

Braised beef “galbi” back ribs:

Twice fried Magic Myrna potatoes (brown butter, fish sauce caramel, cilantro, fried shallots, lemon juice, scallions):

Honey walnut carrots (garlic, soy & honey glaze, gochujang-candied walnuts):

Hot smoked trout schmear (ocean trout, fresh horseradish root, pea leaves, crème fraîche, lemon) and griddled potato bread:

Water Buffalo milk soft serve (water buffalo milk from Double 8 Dairy, nurungji puffed rice, doenjang caramel, chocolate injeolmi):

This fantastic community gathering was happening there as well so the outside area was packed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAgsvUPkRI/?utm_medium=copy_link

26 Likes

In 2009 we were pregnant and living in Olympic and Robertson. We had a great rotation of places 15-20 mins away from us. Madeo, Vito’s Pizza, Animal, Ktown, Thai Town, El Chato, Mozza and others. But since we couldn’t afford a house in LA we moved to Brea. I knew nothing about this place and was sad to be moving to a food wasteland. The one restaurant that made me happy was Olive Pit. It’s one of only 2 restaurants we’ve been frequenting for over 13 years. Olive Pit moved from a strip mall to their new digs in downtown Brea a few years ago. There is much more seating and a full bar. The place was absolutely packed Friday night at 5:15. A great neighborhood family joint continuously providing great Greek and Mediterranean food.

Hummus, olivata and spicy cheese dip with warm pita.

Lamb chops with rice and grilled veggies.

Chicken kebabs with fries and salad.

$5 pints during happy hour 3-6 weekdays is a great deal. Had a nice hazy IPA from Modern Times and west coast IPA from Beechwood.

21 Likes

The octopus is one of my favorite items.

Been doing some local eating lately.

Kimbap Paradise (La Mirada)
The kimbap tuna rolls are my favorite…and an easy $9 lunch or snack on the go. Filled with plenty of vegetables and tuna, it is a complete meal!

Uptown Provisions (Whittier)
Egg salad toast with avocado

Does it reach the heights of EuroPane of yore? No. But the eggs are cooked in a way where they are not entirely hard-boiled. There’s a nice hit of kewpie mayo, but it’s not too mayo-y. The sourdough toast is nice and hearty. The pickled onions are a delight, though the avocado was a touch gratuitous.
Is it my new favorite egg salad? Maybe.
The sandwich shop and specialty foods store is a recent addition to uptown Whittier. There’s Rodolphe Le Meunier butter, jamon Serrano from La Hispanola, Omsom sauces, various covervas, Zab’s hot honey, Nancy’s Fancy gelatos, and frozen Burritos La Palma in addition to their baked goods.

12 Likes

Great intel!! I love Kimbap Paradise! Glad that new stuff continues to open DT Whittier. It’s such a lovely area.

2 Likes

Rodeo 39 still cranking out some good eats.

Steel Pan pepperoni is money. Those crunchy oil chalices. Great crust and gooey cheese.

Pork belly skewers from RTE. My kids love these. 5 for $15.

My daughter always requests pasta from the Pasta Lab. Fettuccine with meat sauce. The pasta was a little over cooked but good flavor.

Phoholic is always the most crowded. $12 for this huge bowl of pho with very good crunchy pieces of cartilage. My wife says the broth was a tad on the sweet side but significantly better than anything up in North OC.

15 Likes