Fish Fry Alert

Yes it’s the season of Lent and in Addition to the Discounts on Filet O’ Fish and the like, many churches have their own Fish Fry on Fridays. Holy Spirit LA where Dommy and I go is no exception. We went late last Friday towards the pickings were a bit slim but delicious. There were 2 Main Plates the we got there tacos or the seasoned flour dusted pan fried filet. Each plate came with rice, beans and an aqua fresca (last Friday it was Orange) for $12. They offered Salsas along with this big bucket of Chipotle tinged Tartar sauce. We got one of each

Also they had whole fried tilapias which were very popular. We noticed that they included pickled Onions which made Dommy happy. These cost a little more but the fish is quite crisp and meaty.

Throughout the season they sometimes offer other options, each one fresh made by real authentic Amas from all over Latin America. We are trying to convince the Salvadoran Moms to make a Shrimp Pupusa… we shall see…

Holy Spirit Church
Friday Fish Fry 3-8pm
5300 W Pico 90019

13 Likes

hailing from a place with a huge central european presence (NE ohio), it was common to see pierogis more than fish at certain parishes on fridays. a huge plate of pierogis sauteed in butter with onions and some sour cream on the side. that made for many a friday afternoon food coma at work. it’s about the only thing i miss about the midwest, actually.

7 Likes

So bummed I missed this post!!!

1 Like

It’s every Friday until Easter. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay!

1 Like

You have until Friday April 3rd to enjoy your local church’s Friday Fish Fries

1 Like

Have they cancelled Fish Fry Fridays?

We will find out tonight. As far as I know… No. BUT the Archbishop just gave special dispensation for mass attendance in the next few weeks, so we’ll see if that effect any other of the other Church programs…

2 Likes

Still on the schedule! The chef is from Rubio’s down the street and he’s doing well and committed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sadly the Archdiocese has halted all church activities until the end of the month. So that includes Fish Frys. We will re-up this thread next year as we planned to visit other places…

And we aren’t the only ones missing out…

3 Likes

on the plus side, all the skyline chili places in cincinnatti are closed

2 Likes