Food Free-for-All

A whopper of a double entendre. Yikes.

1 Like
1 Like

Oh, ffs. It’s neither racist nor misogynistic. Rather, it’s self-deprecating. It means “this is a pretty good attempt at a Korean dish, considering it was made by a white guy.” Why couldn’t the restaurant owner point out what @robert just did - that it’s a reference to a song. That it’s a joke. And that it’s pretty funny if you THINK FOR A SECOND before you fire up the outrage machine.

Now I’m mad at the restaurant owner for offering that sniveling apology instead of educating some idiots.

1 Like

Me? LOL. Not at all. The one who seems outraged is the one writing in all caps. It was just a piece I came across. I too wondered why he didn’t just explain his meaning. We do disagree about about one thing, though… it being “pretty funny”. As far as jokes go it was just ok. And he probably could’ve left out the ‘hot cocotte’ part. Folks were bound to get the wrong idea… and they did.

I’m not calling you out. You’re just the messenger, although I wonder what you think the two parts of the double entendre are. I’m calling out the Tweet storm. And I know it’s absolutely necessary to consider how messages are received - that is, in fact, an actual part of my actual job. But if we have to dumb our messages down to the level of people who seem to have been born ten minutes ago (or just act as if they were), then it’s going to be very tough to communicate meaningfully at all.

Oh okay. You’ve snapped at me before so I wasn’t sure,lol.

The double entendre was the whole thing whether chef meant it or not. I did have to read it a second time before realizing it wasn’t a spin on a personal ad and cocotte also means prostitute in French, so. But I do think the effusive apology was unnecessary. It’s understandable, though. Peeps are scared of the racist label, especially in this moment in time. The last thing a restaurant who’s working to bring back customers needs is a racist tag.

Links or it didn’t happen! I feel strongly about some things. It’s rarely (but not never) personal.

And also a hot stone bowl! Like one you’d make bibimbap in! Sometimes a cocotte is just a cocotte.

You’re 100% right about this. It’s just depressing when said tag seems entirely undeserved.

“Cocotte” meant a high-class courtesan like Zola’s Nana. It passed out of common use around a century ago. On a restaurant menu today it just means something cooked in a Dutch oven.

I don’t get the accusation of misogyny at all. Has “guy” been cancelled?

Yep, I know that, you know that and some others know that. Apparently, some thought he was being cheeky - a white guy looking for a pretty Korean lady and she should be a hot cocotte. The loudest voices get heard. He changed the title… end of story.

The misogyny is reading “pretty Korean” as “pretty Korean girl” instead of “surprisingly Korean.” Thus, the phrase becomes “pretty Korean girl for a white guy.”

1 Like

All of this reminds me of a similar incident (just looked it up, and there were actually several) about which I will be circumspect lest some shit-stirrers decide to stir shit again. Someone used an adjective synonymous with “stingy.” The adjective starts with an N and it looks kind of like another word, an extremely volatile and offensive one. Misinterpretation ensued, followed by outrage. All because some people don’t know what words mean (no shame in that, there are lots of words I don’t know) and rather than, I dunno, looking them up…

Good grief. People policing language when they don’t even know what the words mean. Or get the references.

On the other hand, it’s just some bullshit on Reddit being echo-chambered.

This is a thing.

4 Likes

i have a car tray for in-car dining for the driver’s seat but i cant find any good trays for the passenger’s seat.

3 Likes

That works! Now you just need a Saucemoto Dip Clip. :smile:

1 Like

What about this one?

2 Likes

Let me tell ya, they work great

2 Likes

OMG. I got ads for so many of those early pandemic times…

There are a few… one called Stupid car tray I remember in particular…

1 Like

You know they’re going to go the way of bread machines. A bunch of them will start showing up at your local thrift shop.

2 Likes

Hah! I saw the Stupid Car Tray on Amazon!