Futurist cuisine: threat or menace?

The future of food is with scents (mud, bathroom, barnyard, nail salon) and flavorless textures (konjac, gluten). Food must have abrasive and dissonant flavors and textures (unripe banana; budino with fermented fish paste). Food must move beyond “tasting good” and inspire new modes of thinking. In some cases there should be no food at all. In some cases there should be too much food. Food should assume you’ve already been nourished.

1 Like

I can’t tell if you’re trying to become a parody account as of the last month or so…

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking a lot about the future of food recently, inspired by Bjork’s new album Fossora and the music of Karlheinz Stockhausen.

Did you mean to post that in the Meteora topic?

3 Likes

No – I’m hoping for innovation from Jose Andres.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link.

This restaurant has nothing to do with Jose Andres

6 Likes

If you’ve been to Somni pre-closure or been looking at his Instagram, this does not match his style at all so I would temper your expectations. Somni was very technical and precise, but still ingredient focused. If you want the kind of experience you’re describing, I would take a trip to Mugaritz in the Basque region of Spain outside San Sebastian. It’s very much food moving beyond “tasting good,” it’s a conceptual experience that just happens to involve things you put in your mouth and eat. Having experienced it, I’m not sure that it’ll take hold as the future of food. Wine pairing was a highlight though.

1 Like

You’re right about Somni. We ate there twice and thought it was best restaurant in LA. But that was years ago. I can’t speak for Peony, but personally I’m no longer interested in food that tastes good. It’s like listening to a Mozart piano concerto or looking at Renoir paintings.

Perhaps you would love this restaurant - https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/13/morning-mix-bad-michelin-restaurant-review/

Or maybe interested in a restaurant such as the one depicted in this new movie THE MENU Trailer (2022) - YouTube

I am wondering what you eat for an average Tuesday breakfast or dinner if you are “no longer interested in food that tastes good”

…you have to be trolling at this point right?

6 Likes

The chef in the WP article is expressing my mindset. (To get behind the paywall press Esc immediately after it loads.)

The YouTube video is expressing something different.

The word “trolling” assumes that there is a clear boundary between reality and imagination. I don’t recognize such a boundary.

Cancel your trip to Mexico and go to Puglia instead.

3 Likes

If that chef is expressing your mindset, you’ve chosen the wrong “art” to seek in Los Angeles in my opinion. You will forever be confined to “mundane”, “boring” food that is meant to satiate and/or taste good. I can count on one hand how many restaurants in this city deliver what you’re striving for (actually maybe just one or two by Jordan Kahn) and if you go enough times, the “magic” and thought provoking food you’re speaking of quickly changes to the aforementioned.

I can cordially invite you to a private pop up, it will have no food at all, I’ll assume you’ve already been nourished. We will provide bandanas to cover your eyes so you can feel flavorless textures. $450 a person no refunds. Thought provoking guaranteed! :rofl:

10 Likes

Res ipsa loquitor.

2 Likes

@PeonyWarrior spent some more time thinking about this, and I actually take my words back. I maybe right in the literal sense, but both individually & personally, certain types of food or cuisines can be transcendent and induce thought provoking ideas. Every person is different and food can bring back memories both good and bad.

I don’t think Jordan Khan type restaurants are required to get to what I think you’re talking about. It’s not up to the chef to “teach” us and to get us to think about how why when where and what, but rather it’s up to the diner and their interest. Sushi is a great example, you could be the diner that just enjoys the taste of sushi, or if you put some effort into it, be a life long student of the art of sushi, learn about the history, the different schools of sushi, the different styles, fish, seasons, knives, it’s literally never ending. So in this sense, sushi can be exactly what you’re talking about, but it’s up to one’s own interest and love for the food

I would much rather get into a type of cuisine and learn about it, develop my interest and therefore my appreciation than to let a chef like the one from Bro’s restaurant make me French kiss a mold of his own lips to get me to think about why he did this and what it means.

2 Likes