Hainan chicken rice: threat or menace

I dont have to try pig rectum to know I find it gross(check out the $3.75 dish in this photo)

…I can judge that, to me, it looks very unappetizing and there are plenty of dishes I like to obviate the need to try everything…I didnt say it is universally gross and that no one else can like it!

exactly! to me it looks gross

There are definitely much better ways to say this…food is obvious subjective but no need to call anything gross or unappetizing. Just say it’s not for you, period. A lot of food stigma is attributed to unfamiliarity with different cultures, but is deeply rooted in racist or elitist origins.

25 Likes

That’s mis-translated. It’s supposed to be intestines.

5 Likes

I think olives on pizza are fucking gross. I take them off and eat the rest of the delicious pizza.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. Thank you for articulating this better than my attempt hahaha.

1 Like

olives are the worst thing since New York Pizza

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the skin on poached chicken, but the chicken itself is the part of Hainan chicken rice that’s the least interesting to me, after the rice and broth.

That’s assuming that it’s not one of those pale imitations where the broth is thin and the rice doesn’t have much chicken flavor or schmaltz, in which case I’ll just pass on the whole thing.

2 Likes

delicious. and tbh calling like the national dish of singapore “gross” is a major bummer.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t you have to try it though to find that it TASTES gross?

1 Like

Since no one seems to want to say it. Poaching chicken like this is peak chicken. The breast especially when it is cooked and still blushing has a delicious flavor that is only enhanced by the bouncy poached skin who’s flavor isn’t covered up by browning reactions. It’s f’n awesome. Of course rice with the broth and chicken fat is awesome too. As a latino it’s a very homey dish I grew up with my mom poaching chicken (usually to be shredded for other things) chicken skin was a special treat for the kids and the broth often went into much fussed over Mexican rice. For me anyway it’s all very nostalgic and delicious even though I didn’t grow up eating Hainan Chicken and Rice

17 Likes

Ahem… As someone who is not a big chicken fan in general (esp of the breast), I actually like the browning and find the bouncy-ness a little… curious. :slight_smile: I like crispy, I like tender. Bounce gives me the willies.

But the fat getting absorbed into rice… now THAT I will agree is awesome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not bothered by limp chicken skin but I won’t eat a lot of it the way I will if it’s crisp.

Exact same way I feel about pig skin. I won’t pick it out of a bowl of pho or whatever, but I won’t order a taco of skin guisado.

1 Like

:rofl:

I wouldn’t eat olives on pizza either! and I wouldn’t return to a pizzeria that ignored my request to “hold” the olives…too many great pizza joints in LA to indulge fascist, narcissistic pizzaiol
i

same “shit” so to speak!

I find your implication that Im racist and elitist bc I find some dish gross troubling…and I certainly dont need you to tell me how to express my subjective feelings about a plate of chicken…seriously!

agreed!

I personally did not think @chrishei was describing you as racist or elitist.

I assume chrishei was stating that, in many cases, our instinctive feelings about things (incl food) are heavily colored by the culture/world around us and that many of the things to which we are exposed in this (and other) cultures have racist roots, even if our own intentions/feelings are not “truly” or concretely racist.

JMHO.

10 Likes

English isn’t my first language, but I don’t know how you interpreted that line as a personal attack. No one’s telling you how to express your subjective feelings; you were the one freely expressing them. I only mentioned it’s unfortunate that certain Asian cuisine and their dishes are perceived as “gross” or “unappetizing” due to strong personal statements from others who aren’t familiar. But what do I know :man_shrugging:

8 Likes