Hainan chicken rice: threat or menace

Peanut butter is considered gross and disgusting in many countries.

2 Likes

no doubt, theres always someone who’s gonna think something is gross & disgusting…I think we’ve established that…

lets say that rather than you implying I was racist/elitist, I mistakenly inferred it…IMHO…

and my final comment(I had no idea Hainan chicken could be so polarizing)…I said it looks gross and unappealing…To Me! adios

You should really try PRD’s version of it. Nothing about it is plain or gross.
If you’re as curious of an eater as you claim, give it a shot! It might open your eyes (and palette) to
a whole new world.

4 Likes

Reminds me of this lady trashing Hainan Chicken Rice on Twitter a couple of years ago. Asian Twitter/Food Twitter came to its defense, and she eventually deleted and apologized.

2 Likes

It’s so interesting how people react to food (esp food they haven’t personally tried). I don’t particularly love hainan chicken, but I also don’t have a particularly neg reaction to it. I guess it’s from familiarity b/c I’ve seen versions of it growing up?

It’s sort of like, what about the pic upset the person so much? It’s okay to be upset… but maybe explain why?

2 Likes

Like these - our all time fave dim sum.

3 Likes

Chickens are vulgar creatures and their slimy skin has dimples where the feathers attached. I remove their skin, whereas Peony eats it. Conversely, I eat fish skin and Peony removes it. Hainan chicken is delicious; just remove the skin and eat the juicy meat.

2 Likes

I like Hainan chicken, NY pizza and peanut butter & Hellman’s mayonnaise on white bread is one of my favorite sandwiches… and I love @aaqjr’s much fussed over, Mexican rice w/chicken broth. :hearts:

6 Likes

Both skins are delicious when fried :yum:

How about this skin???

3 Likes

never claimed to be a curious or adventurous eater…ever,but thanks I’ll take all of your words for it that its a great dish! no man for favor!

so much for my unacceptable expression of my personal dislike…phu-knee you should post these chicken feet…I was at the old dim sum palace with carts(im forgetting the name) in LA’s Chinatown, maybe on Hill St…a friend and I were moaning in delight at shrimp dumplings and other dishes we had that day…as a waitress went by with an interesting looking dish for another table, she saw me staring and stopped and said to me, “Not for you!”

my first comment was it seemed so uninteresting! looked like plain chicken over some rice…nothing appealing to me…then looking at the posted photos prompted me to say I thought it looked gross…the gross part to me is the dimpled or pimpled skin that looked uncooked…to me very unappealing…and as Ive said, I have no need to just try something to see if its as unappealing as I thought…No Need(to me) to just try something purely out of curiosity…is that specific enough? the skin looks gross and uncooked…everything else looks uninteresting…I think thats plenty justification! TY

well, dont hold your breath…ive got nothing to apologize for…you like it, you eat it…end of story

Er, I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to the Twitter post… ::shrug::

1 Like

shrug back…my comment wasn’t meant for you…lol!

if you look, you’ll see that it shows its for Yoda, who compared my post to someone else who disliked Hainan chicken but eventually apologized after "Asian twitter & Food twitter came to the chicken’s defense! :rofl:

Actually you did claim to be a curious eater

5 Likes