Hainan chicken rice: threat or menace

I was sharpening my pitchfork as soon as I read the initial post like a lot of folks here. I had the same thought about comparing it to a cheese slice as well. A deceivingly simple looking dish that requires good technique and sourcing to really get right. And when it’s done with skill and love, it’s sublime.
I think lapizzamaven could have been a little less abrasive with their wording and other folks (me included) could’ve given more grace. I want lapizzamaven to try the dish, I want to convince them of what I know to be true. Hainan chicken is damn delicious.
Re-reading some of the post I’m getting a bit of a different sense. Calling the dish indefensible initially sounded like an insult, it felt a little personal, but now it reads more like a playful invitation to tell them why their wrong. I’m sure they’ve read enough posts here to know that a lot of people love HCR.
I’m of Chinese descent myself and fully know what it’s like to have the flavors, especially textures, I love be derided. It’s a tender spot. I’m glad I took a step back and processed a bit before posting.
I hope we can all meet in the middle and share what we love. Be able to give each other a little ribbing. We definitely could all use a little more grace sometimes.

12 Likes

Hainan chicken rice looks like plain rice and chicken boiled in water, which is a pretty boring dish, but the flavor of chicken poached in rich chicken broth is second only to a perfectly roasted chicken, and the breast might be better.

3 Likes

Jeez, it’s now a relief to read your rational and friendly comment…my initial comment was made, believe it or not, almost tongue-in-cheek(or tongue-in chicken breast)…the first couple comments(JLee-“I Have no idea why people like it”) and then(Robert-"If it’s done right, the best thing is the rice)were pretty harmless but responses quickly descended into serious contentiousness! But as relieved as I am to read the non-abrasive tone of your comment and as equally relieved you laid down the pitchfork, Im not likely to try it…Now, if a dining partner ordered it and removed the skin, Id certainly try it…I think Im at least meeting you, wanderlustre, half way…
I will add that while most of my posts here are about pizza and that they rarely get much of a response, seeing how my “controversial” comment about Hainan chicken generated such emotional and voluminous reactions, I may have to just keep my comments controversial…lets see, maybe I should question Langer’s pastrami or Sergio’s Pescado Zarandeado! :wink:

1 Like

You have to come up with something more creative. Our resident “vegan” had already some thoughts

5 Likes

I actually think the grilled onions served w/ the PZ are more interesting than the PZ itself…

There’s a whole hot take thread for controversial statements, no? :slight_smile:

Ohmigod, no need to reference that. I think I have PTSD from seeing the link to that thread.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I had no idea!!!

Well, Im a sucker for grilled onions!!! Id even eat the Hainan chicken with grilled onions!

1 Like

Nah. Katz’s is way better :slight_smile:

The pastrami is comparable. As a whole sandwich Katz is laughable

5 Likes

We’ve eaten at Katz’s but for the last number of years we order it.

Oh, now Hainan chicken with grilled onions would be… interesting. But I don’t know if that would be an improvement!

The PZ is very good. But it was not, for, me, transcendent. But I have not had it in a LONG time.

what is that delicious looking meat next to the chicken?

char siu

:joy:

If you grew up in the SGV you already know why it’s good.

Hot take: I freakin love Savoy’s sauces plus free refills of ice lemon tea. Still love PRD’s and Marden’s as those are probably the best 2 I ever had. Never been to Singapore/Malaysia though.

2 Likes