Holbox by Chichen Itza

Huge pro tip!

4 Likes

Doing the tasting tonight, very pumped

7 Likes

sold out! what time???

crab butter salsa macha definitely a move to steal and apply for future crab eating at home…

if youre into the raspada tostada, theres a family in oakland that flies good examples of them in https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/This-Oakland-home-restaurant-flies-in-airy-16993154.php

7 Likes

7 on a Sunday and they had no uni or the shrimp aguachile :frowning:

Did you end up getting anything?

1 Like

I did but I didn’t take photos. Will post on the rundown thread.

1 Like

Dinner last night amazing. Same menu as last. Tasting one posted but with scallop on Rajas con crema with pickled tomatillo instead of the tetela.

That abalone tamal tho, killer.

I was STUFFED by the end, but made myself eat those churros and they were fantastic. But man, I’m not a big person and I was hurtin’

11 Likes

Yum… Is this all one thing?

yup, basically their regular salsa macha and then right before serving they mix in the crab fat/head and serve. Amazing stuff

2 Likes

highlights
aguachile de camaron
tostada
callo con rajas, like a seafood chile relleno
crab de jaiba
langosta al mojo de ajo

@moonboy403 power rankings forthcoming?

conchas - oyster, geoduck ceviche & blood clam

ceviche de kanpachi + uni - baja kanpachi ceviche topped with santa barbara uni

aguachile de camaron - local spot prawn in spicy green aguachile

tostada raspada de atun - local line caught blue fin tuna on housemade tostada raspada, arbol-peanut sauce

callo con rajas - seared diver scallop, creamy roasted poblano pepper, pickled tomatillo

taco de jaiba - dungeness crab, house smoked yellowtail, local oaxaca cheese, crab butter salsa macha

huarache de abulon - blue corn huarache, steamed abalone, black beans, pickled onions, almond pipian, abalone liver sauce

langosta al mojo de ajo - mesquite grilled maine lobster, saffron-butter-lobster-sauce, stuffed cabbage

churros

pre-dinner bang at poncho’s tlayudas

12 Likes

Damn I really gotta get their tasting menu.

The best and most successful bites of the night were scallop and ceviche…least successful was the huarache where abalone was completely overwhelmed by masa and black bean puree.

Overall, their tasting menu is a great value but needs a lot of work fine tuning ratio of ingredients on the plate so each of the protein they wanna showcase can shine through on every bite.

5 Likes

I was stuffed after the tasting menu, surprised you ate even before that!

surprised PB’s pre-meal and post-snacks are a surprise - they are the stuff of legend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Consistently great food. My stingy asian mom loves this place she thinks it has the freshest seafood at the most affordable price. My dad couldn’t stop raving about how fresh the transparent shrimp was.

25 Likes

i convinced my local gourmet grocery store to start carrying those shrimp. They’re so good. If I could do half of what Holbox does, it’s a success.

10 Likes

which store? Thinking Cookbook?

LA Home Farm—cookbook already carries them!

I wish LA home farm carried meat but I have to respect the ethos.

6 Likes

what’t the 3rd picture of?

Camaro new al mojo