Holy Basil

Banana cake or tofu chè? @PorkyBelly had to make a tough call…

4 Likes

They deserved it more than me for sure!

2 Likes

I’ve been 0-3 for Saffys banana cake so that was super appreciated!

2 Likes

Great company makes it hard to judge the food objectively :smiley: Crab curry+uni > Shrimp aguachile > pork belly … gets really hard to judge after that. It was all really good.

4 Likes

Agree with everyone that they are putting out awesome food at Holy Basil, especially considering how busy the place was. One of my tops was also that curry crab with uni. The uni creaminess was definitely a great addition and I love that they made it easy for my lazy butt to dig in and avoid the mess.

My other tops: Steamed fish, pork, belly, mussels, and the fish rice. I can never say no to a good steamed fish and was really happy with what was served. Pork belly was great, especially with that delicious sauce. If I’d ordered the mussels myself I might’ve tried to turn the sauce into a sauce it was so tasty. Fish rice was great too with all the different components put together. Shout out to the white rice orders for soaking in all those sauces and dishes. :drooling_face: #riceforlife

Awesome meal, great time. Thanks for organizing @PorkyBelly!

6 Likes

But I also sent some hoshigaki cookies with him too…hmm wonder what happened to those :thinking:

4 Likes

:bangbang: :thinking::sob::sob:

2 Likes

the great hoshigaki cookie mystery of 2024 :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

Damnnnn

3 Likes

I appreciate their efforts and the Thai community in LA more generally.

1 Like

Has anyone tried both DTLA and Atwater locations? I went to Holy Basil for the first time (Atwater location) and found it solid but not as life changing as many reviews (on here and elsewhere) would suggest.

We got the nam tok, gra pow, moo krob and wild shrimp curry.

I know it’s a smaller menu but was wondering if folks noticed any other differences? Either way, will plan on checking out DTLA location sometime soon.

3 Likes

Atwater has way more menu options right now. Dtla only has their basic to go menu.

I went to dtla this weekend and it wasn’t as good as Atwater since deau and the rest of the crew are at atwater

4 Likes
2 Likes

On my one visit to the DTLA location (way b/f the Atwater location opened), I found it above solid (but maybe I have a low bar) but not life changing.

2 Likes

it’s a solid thai restaurant, better than your local neighborhood spot and the way Deau cooks has some strong chinese influence which makes the food more interesting than your standard thai. I would agree it’s not life changing - but to me, not every restaurant needs to be a banger worth driving a hour to. HB is meant to be casual but delicious which it hits on both marks for me.

We’re pretty blessed in LA with some really good thai food lately, not just sugar loaded central thai hole in the walls. I could be happy just rotating among Holy Basil, Anajak and Northern Thai food club

8 Likes

Chiming in as a reminder that the last dinner Porky posted along with some others I think were for the Yum Seafood popup: https://www.instagram.com/yumlosangeles/?hl=en. I believe the Yum nights have several dishes that are specific to the pop up. For example, I don’t think the crab and fish are always on the menu, though maybe you can order it still if you just walk in to the right location when its being held? Would have to confirm. I’ve only been to Yum nights but non-Yum dishes we ordered were good. However I think my favorites have probably been the Yum dishes.

1 Like

Holy Basil deal alert. If you go to their website, you can get a $25 dollar discount on orders of $75 or more. You have to download this app called inKind and pay through inKind, which seems to be an app that rewards repeated restaurant dining.

Anybody done this yet? I myself am exciting. Will gather up the troops to make sure we hit the $75 threshold.

Also, my Holy Basil take is this: many Thai restaurants in LA do individual dishes better than Holy Basil, but in my mind, there aren’t a ton of places who do as many different dishes really well. plus the Yum Seafood stuff is their best offerings.

8 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of popups for this on various restaurant sites but wasn’t sure if it was a scam. Can you do it for each restaurant?! that’s wild

1 Like

just depends which restaurants are affiliated with inKind. Definitely not a scam.

They invest in companies and in turn request food/bev credit which they then sell to consumers.

3 Likes

I agree not everything has to be life changing - I think it was more a response to the line, the crowd, and the overall hype surrounding it, especially when you consider how great our options are here in LA. Beyond that, very happy it exists and I’m sure I’ll be back!

1 Like