Holy Basil

Holy Basil Atwater

bold, delicious flavors that lean sweet, spicy and funky with quality ingredients just like the dtla location. my favorite is still grandma’s fish and rice doused with chili fish sauce. bestest?

the shrimp curry is the same curry used with the crab, just easier to eat.

pro tip, save the shrimp agua chili sauce to pour over your wings, omelette and rice.

@Clayfu review forthcoming?

wild shrimp agua chili - wild shrimp, holy sauce, garlic, makrut

wild shrimp fried rice - overnight jasmine rice, wild shrimps, xo sauce, eggs

holy wings - fried jidori chicken wings, spicy sweet and sour

grandma’s fish and rice - shredded fried barramundi, cilantro, chili fish sauce, lime and shallots

kai jeaw

wild shrimp curry - house-made yellow curry paste, wild shrimp, egg, fried shallots, sichuan peppercorn oil

a bang bang with homestate was perfect :hugs:

12 Likes

I love everything they do with shrimp at Holy Basil. That grandma fish dish is so unlike them which makes it really stand out. I feel a lot of their dishes are more magi/sugar leaning in flavor but the grandma fish dish is a giant bowl of aromatics and lift, very good dish. Very welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Can bang bang with Morihiro if anyone has the courage

8 Likes
2 Likes

Was just at Atwater soft open last evening. Grandma’s fish & rice was truly special -Textural heaven! I could inhale their satay all day long. Sincere cooking and warm service. Wishing them much success.

8 Likes

Holy Mori

2 Likes

super fun and delicious dinner at holy basil atwater. loved the whole experience, from the kitchen table, the goodfellas backdoor, and all the delicious food. the kitchen was slammed the entire night but everything came out on point.

some of the highlights:

• wild shrimp agua chili. pro tip save that sauce for the steamed fish
  • crab curry with uni - the lazy man’s crab was completely de-shelled and fantastic. and what’s better than crab with kani miso? crab with uni. usually uni on top of things is bullshit, but the creamy sweetness of the uni was the perfect complement for the crab meat and curry.
  • papaya salad topped with fish “croutons”. damn i don’t know how they made this pork floss like fluffy fish but it was addicting.
  • grandma’s fish and rice. because it’s delicious.

review and power rankings forthcoming @pomodoro @Bagel @hungryhungryhippos @boourns @Spicyshlomi @hppzz?

special thanks to @pomodoro @Bagel @boourns @hungryhungryhippos and @Clayfu for the wine and sake.

shishito - japanese peppers, garlic, molasses fish sauce, thai basil

sai krok - isaan sausage and sai auo

crying tiger short ribs - grilled thai marinated angus beef short ribs and jiaw

holy wings - fried fidori chicken wings serves with umeboshi sweet and sour sauce

wild shrimp agua chili - wild shrimp, tomatillo, garlic, makrut

nam tok angus beef tataki - toasted rice powder, cilantro, lime vinaigrette

papaya salad fish crouton - roasted peanuts, fluffy fried fish, garlic oil, lime vinaigrette

nam prik - thai relish

gra pow wagyu beef - fried egg, ground wagyu beef, xo sauce, garlic, snap peas, seasonal basil

lemongrass mussels - seasonal mussels, lime, thai herbs mix

moo krob - holy basil’s signature kurobuta crispy pork belly, 48 hours cured serve with holy sauce

crab curry, uni

steamed dorade

grandma’s fish and rice - shredded fried barramundi, cilantro, chili fish sauce, lime and shallots

wild shrimp fried rice - overnight jasmine rice, wild shrimps, xo sauce, egg

wild shrimp curry - house-made yellow curry paste, wild shrimp, egg, fried shallots, sichuan peppercorn oil

pad see ew - vermicelli noodle, marinated pork loin, xo sauce, soy bean, chinese broccoli

kai jeaw - thai fluffy omelette

saffy’s banana cake with soft cheese frosting, baharat spiced pecan

@hppzz’s tofu with grass jelly, coconut jelly, asian pear, and coconut milk

20 Likes

looks incredible!

1 Like

That goong karee/shrimp curry looks so damn good I think I messed up by not ordering that

Did they run out of rice noodles?

1 Like

Who got the dungeness carapace curry rice?

6 Likes

great dinner, food and company alike! yes it was impressive that everything was on despite how busy it was.

favorites were probably #1 the shrimp aguachile, then #2 crab curry, and #3 crying tiger short ribs / nam tok beef tataki / moo krob. the uni underneath the crab looked like crab innards / viscera and added a nice lift. i was expecting more spice with the nam prik but i liked every dish. thanks for organizing @PorkyBelly

good to hang out with all; see you next time!

7 Likes

You’re holding out on us!

Great meal and great company my favorite of the young year, good meeting and seeing everyone hope to do it again soon. QPR is unbeatable

Not sure why they did the pad see ew with vermicelli.
No misses. Favorites were the crab curry, papaya salad, fried rice, short ribs, nam tok, aguachile, crispy pork.

Also bonus Saffys banana cake was :fire: thanks @PorkyBelly

7 Likes

that went to the kitchen and foh.

3 Likes

Banana cake or tofu chè? @PorkyBelly had to make a tough call…

4 Likes

They deserved it more than me for sure!

2 Likes

I’ve been 0-3 for Saffys banana cake so that was super appreciated!

2 Likes

Great company makes it hard to judge the food objectively :smiley: Crab curry+uni > Shrimp aguachile > pork belly … gets really hard to judge after that. It was all really good.

4 Likes

Agree with everyone that they are putting out awesome food at Holy Basil, especially considering how busy the place was. One of my tops was also that curry crab with uni. The uni creaminess was definitely a great addition and I love that they made it easy for my lazy butt to dig in and avoid the mess.

My other tops: Steamed fish, pork, belly, mussels, and the fish rice. I can never say no to a good steamed fish and was really happy with what was served. Pork belly was great, especially with that delicious sauce. If I’d ordered the mussels myself I might’ve tried to turn the sauce into a sauce it was so tasty. Fish rice was great too with all the different components put together. Shout out to the white rice orders for soaking in all those sauces and dishes. :drooling_face: #riceforlife

Awesome meal, great time. Thanks for organizing @PorkyBelly!

6 Likes

But I also sent some hoshigaki cookies with him too…hmm wonder what happened to those :thinking:

4 Likes

:bangbang: :thinking::sob::sob:

2 Likes

the great hoshigaki cookie mystery of 2024 :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes