Holy Basil

I’ve seen a lot of popups for this on various restaurant sites but wasn’t sure if it was a scam. Can you do it for each restaurant?! that’s wild

1 Like

just depends which restaurants are affiliated with inKind. Definitely not a scam.

They invest in companies and in turn request food/bev credit which they then sell to consumers.

3 Likes

I agree not everything has to be life changing - I think it was more a response to the line, the crowd, and the overall hype surrounding it, especially when you consider how great our options are here in LA. Beyond that, very happy it exists and I’m sure I’ll be back!

1 Like

I think it’s better than you’re making it out to be. The execution in some of the dishes is better than I’ve seen anywhere. Take the kabocha squash and eggplant with purple rice. Excellent texture, color, flavor, ingredient quality. Everything about that dish is a cut above the most comparable dish at any Thai restaurant I’ve ever been to. The rice quality alone – whether it be the white rice or the purple rice – is better than that of nearly every Thai restaurant in LA. Better flavor, less mushy texture.

2 Likes

Wasn’t on the menu!

5 Likes

Did you miss this, inspector?

4 Likes

I used to try to cook Thai food at home using David Thompson’s book “Thai Food,” but it was impossible to get some of the ingredients. Cilantro roots was perhaps the biggest challenge. I couldn’t find them at any Thai markets. I guess you have to grow your own or know the farmers.

1 Like

There is a stand at the Hollywood Farmers’ Market that has them regularly. Blanking on the name but it’s close to Weiser.

3 Likes

I’ve bought cilantro roots at Thai grocers.

It’d be hard to cook Thai food without a Thai grocery store.

1 Like

I tried using it at Death&Co last year. Definitely not a scam and definitely worth it if it’s a spot you like or are going to check out anyway.

1 Like

Here they are irl. From this weekend…

They also have Yu Choy, A Choy and other Asian veggies.

5 Likes

you can find them in the frozen section at LAX-C (and maybe Bangluck, iirc)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

new five spice duck and crying tiger short ribs are delicious.

power rankings forthcoming @CiaoBob @NYCtoLA @moonboy403 #noftcjon #noftcsimon?

oysters

holy wings - fried jidori chicken wings serves with umeboshi sweet and sour

wild shrimp agua chili - tomatillo, garlic, makrut

nam tok angus beef tataki - toasted rice powder, cilantro, lime vinaigrette

five spice duck

moo krob - crispy pork belly, 48 hours cured serve with holy sauce

grandma’s fish and rice - shredded fried barramundi, cilantro, chili fish sauce, lime and shallots

wild shrimp fried rice - overnight jasmine rice, wild shrimps, xo sauce, egg

green curry jidori chicken - jidori chicken, thai eggplant, basil, house made curry paste

crying tiger short ribs - grilled thai marinated angus beef short ribs and jiaw

fish cracklings

crab curry

BYOMCCP

holy mango(holy basil x go cakes) - mango, passion fruit, lime basil

14 Likes

Was this off menu? And the soup? Was there on Friday and didn’t see these on the menu…

1 Like

this is a monster #latergram

yeah those were off-menu. they do use those same fish cracklings on their papaya salad too.

1 Like
1 Like