Home Cooking 2023

Every so often they have it at the farmers market. Taste is identical

4 Likes

Blue corn might have been obscure outside the Southwest years ago, but the NY Times called it “the fashion food of 1986,” and not long after that blue tortilla chips were in supermarkets.

2 Likes

That makes sense since it was ten years after I left the South.

Blue corn grits probably weren’t commercially distributed outside of the isolated pockets where they were traditional, if at all, until specialty retailers like Anson Mills added them, well after tortillas and chips were widely available.

1 Like

Now heres something super-Southern that I can get behind. Succotash!!! Ooh yeah.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Cooking for beginners

Very interesting fusion dish around Pasta Norma from Chef Tim Raue, who is a well known German chef with some Michelin stars and a cooking style which often combines east and west - the dish was a nice example how you can do use fusion cooking without forcing it as it creates a wonderful vibrant and complex dish.
Here you create a tomato based sauce by combining strained tomatoes, nuoc cham, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise and sriracha and cooking it for awhile to reduce. You pan fry some eggplants with some garlic before combing everything with some pasta water. Finished with some basil and feta (ricotta salata wasn’t available)

7 Likes

That sounds great!

2 Likes

Oven roasted bone-in chicken thighs (with a spice mixture made from salt, chili powder, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and pepper) and potatoes (briefly parboiled in baking soda water, dried, mix with rendered chicken fat). Served with Greek inspired braised vegetables (leek, carrots, onion, tomatoes and celery braised in water with cinnamon stick, bay leaf and red wine vinegar).

8 Likes

Interesting flavor combinations - the base was a hummus made with chickpeas, hazelnuts, lime juice, olive oil, paprika, chili powder and cumin. That was served with sautéed broccolini spiced with a cajun spice mix and a sauce made by briefly cooking blueberries, acetico balsamico amd sugar in some water, puréed and added some additional blueberries. Served with macadamia nuts and watercress.

7 Likes

A friend gave me this recipe for chorizo/poblano/cheese casserole. My chorizo was too dry I think so the dish suffered from that. I’ll go to a local Latino market next time. And my grandsons who arent very adventuresome eaters yet would probably like it if I made it with seasoned ground pork and maybe red bell peppers.
https://www.thekitchn.com/chile-relleno-casserole-recipe-23392104#post-recipe-341190054

5 Likes

Stir fried eggplant with ground pork from Woks of Life - first stir fry Chinese eggplant, then ground pork with garlic, ginger, dried chili. Finish with sauce made from water, corn starch, light and dark soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, roasted sesame oil, oyster sauce, Shaoxing rice wine and white pepper

9 Likes

The completely non-photogenic yet completely delicious split pea soup:

And a gratuitous photo of some completely delightful cats watching squirrels:

13 Likes

Quick du Puy lentil stew with Swiss chard, garlic thyme plenty of mustard, lemon zest and juice, almonds and parsley cooked in the pressure cooker

6 Likes

Ramen noodles with sautéed oyster mushroom, sesame oil, scallions and basil. Served with sweet & sour cod filet (sugar cooked with rice vinegar and soy sauce)

7 Likes

I love making split pea soup. My preferred recipe (although I don’t always follow it to the letter) includes balsamic vinegar, which makes the soup even less photogenic but I don’t care.

4 Likes

I’m an absolute turd of a baker, but I was quite happy with how this banana bread came out. It’s a Claire Saffitz recipe but I swapped peanut butter in for the almond butter crust because the former is roughly 1000x better.

7 Likes

No shot of the crumb??? :slight_smile:

Question for all: does anyone have a good technique/recipe for grilled octopus (esp one that could be done on a stovetop grill since we don’t have an outdoor one)? Partner will often longingly look at the octopus at the seafood counter and wonder how we can make it at home.

2 Likes

If it’s the already cooked kind all you have to do is sear the legs over high heat in a heavy pan until it’s nice and crusty on the outside and just warmed through

2 Likes

Thanks!

And if not already cooked, I found this for the boil and then simmering directions:

Dip tentacles into the boiling water 3 times, holding them in the boiling water 2 to 3 seconds each time, until the tentacles curl up. Submerge entire octopus in the boiling water. Bring water back to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until octopus is fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes.

Does the above sound like a decent way to cook them?

1 Like