I Got Pok Pok Tickets

i was surprised at how large they made the restaurant. the place is huge with 2 floors and a ton of tables outside. when i was there yesterday, it was pretty empty and i too saw them seat people without resys.

it’ll be interesting to see how it catches on. i can’t see the place being packed all the time just because of the pure size.

is this the size of the fucking joint roughly in Portland and NYC ???

do some people think that since Rickter (sp???) is a farang that dope fucking food won’t be set forth ???

just curious. don’t mean to say well you know…

haven’t been to the nyc location but i thought it was easily twice as big as the portland location.

i had a good experience in portland and thought his food was pretty good here. just not as good as i remembered and a notch below n+m.

It really is quite massive. Might be one of the cities biggest restaurants,
Including the upstairs, downstairs and outside - anyone want to guess how many seats?
I would say maybe 200?

what’s the bar seating sitch, y’all?

cuz there’s nowhere to drink in Chinatown cept that General “Tso” bar and Meloy…

I’m down to fucking grab a few drinks there and then surreptitiously and capriciously saunter over to Little Jewel for a fried shrimp po boy and an extra side of bread.

Problem fucking solved.

2 bars. One on the top floor and one on the bottom. Both have about 10 stools.

http://laist.com/2015/10/27/pok_pok_la.php

Sounds like it’s not doing so well these days:

http://www.playboy.com/articles/pok-poks-tipping-experiment-didnt-work-and-chef-andy-ricker-blames-l-a

1 Like

The Tock thingy was silly and unnecessary IMO.

1 Like

Ricker, Bacoman of restaurateurs.

1 Like

wtf? So it’s better to trick your customers with lower menu prices and then hit them with a fee at the end?

3 Likes

Reading it for the articles…

3 Likes

It probably doesn’t help that the food can’t hold a candle to other Thai options in this city.

now that they don’t have any n00ds…

I do agree with him that it’s stupid that people automatically think certain “ethnic” cuisines should be cheap. But is Ricker actually making better food than these “hole in the wall places?” Aka the beloved Thai spots of this city?

I genuinely wish him well. But I don’t think this interview will win him any favors…

1 Like

No… but he might be using more expensive ingredients to make worse versions of the same food.